New Dutch roundabout Cambridge

2.3 million it’s cost.

Is it a good idea or asking for more trouble?

Common in Holland apparently hence called a “Dutch roundabout”

Obviously Cambridge is an area where cycling is very common more so than some areas.

youtu.be/7OE6BSJ1_8M/

Discuss.

initial cost was supposed to be £800K… £2.3 million final cost…on one roundabout… :imp:

How is this country so crap at everything…christ

simcor:
2.3 million it’s cost.

Obviously Cambridge is an area where cycling is very common more so than some areas.

youtu.be/7OE6BSJ1_8M/

Discuss.

Be cheaper banning cyclists,pain in the arse the lot of them,mostly arrogant gits in Lycra.

bobbya:

simcor:
2.3 million it’s cost.

youtu.be/7OE6BSJ1_8M/

Discuss.

Be cheaper banning cyclists,pain in the arse the lot of them,mostly arrogant gits in Lycra.

Also ban anyone convicted of drink driving from ever holding a vocational licence.

:neutral_face: Done something similar in Manchester.
As long as.boris is In no10 .
There be more of these schemes as he’s into cycling schemes and making cycle lanes etc.
All are a good idea in a way.
But the problem is when people take no notice of who’s right of way it is etc.

Cyclists and road users will never live in harmony

edd1974:
:expressionless: Done something similar in Manchester.
There be more of these schemes as he’s into cycling schemes and making cycle lanes etc.

But cyclists are road users…

Roymondo:

edd1974:
:expressionless: Done something similar in Manchester.

But cyclists are road users…

Well.cyclists and car users and trucks will.never live in harmony .
Always get 1 be it a cyclist or a car that will.jump a light not give way etc

All the cyclist hate amoung truck drivers makes me laugh. Chances are if they weren’t on a bike they’d be in a car and adding even more to already bad congestion.

To be fair though, if cyclists obeyed the rules of the road like they’re supposed to BY LAW :imp: then there’s be a lot less hate going around
youtube.com/watch?v=jNixS4Fco74

Zac_A:
To be fair though, if cyclists obeyed the rules of the road like they’re supposed to BY LAW :imp: then there’s be a lot less hate going around

And of course all drivers obey all the rules as THEY’RE supposed to also? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Im a cyclist. I have a road bike and managing to lose weight using it as a form of exercise. I ride sensibly and use the corect hand signals. The standard of driving whilst overtaking me is abysmal from a lot of car drivers and downright lethal from lorry drivers.
When i approach a cyclist I always wait until its clear to overtake using the oncoming carrigeway giving the cyclist plenty of room.
We are all shared users of the roads and yes there are pratts riding bikes especially in London but its not an excuse to lower yourself to their standard.

^^^^^^^^^
Spot on, bike haters on here are really just making excuses for their poor driving.

Im. Not antibike.
But things will never change untill cyclists have a numberplate .so they can.be identified when they jump lights junctions etc.
As if i a veichel you jump.a light etc there’s usually a camera and a letter follows in the post.
A cyclist does it nothing happens can’t be identified

edd1974:
Im. Not antibike.
But things will never change untill cyclists have a numberplate .so they can.be identified when they jump lights junctions etc.
As if i a veichel you jump.a light etc there’s usually a camera and a letter follows in the post.
A cyclist does it nothing happens can’t be identified

Another attitude I don’t get. ‘Ba****ds, they are going before me’! pretty much sums it up. Often makes sense for them to jump lights and they are much more visible in front of you than beside. A cyclist jumping lights is vast majority of time safe, after all they will be ones worse off otherwise and doesn’t affect you in the slightest really. But on upside at least you haven’t come up with the crap ‘they should pay road tax’ opinion :smiley:

Zac_A:

As a fair weather cyclist myself and an ex lorryist, I am 100% certain that lycra warriors were at fault here.
I am jumping to a generalization here, but surely most reasonable people might agree that the self righteous indignation of the cyclist (who caused the whole incident) is indicative of the London intelligentsia types.
He was most likely on his way to his highly paid job as a town planner, deciding how best to improve roundabouts.

What we do know is that the driver, the one who barely makes above minimum wage bringing in essential supplies for the convenience of Londonstanians to carry on with their unsustainable lives. The one who has probably got enough on his plate without the added pressure of looking out for self entitled harbouring suicidal tendencies.

So we also have the other ■■■■ weasle with a camera who is just foaming at the mouth to persecute the poor sod just trying to make a living. Just look at the sensational title of the video “London cyclist almost crushed by lorry as it changes lane” when the truck did nothing of the sort.

Lorry drivers delivering in London, I urge you to drive a sub cycling speeds so that this horrific ■■■■ hurt never happens again and if Corn Flakes become £50 a box. I am sure the people will see it as a price worth paying.

Most cyclist seem to not use the cycle lanes they wanted, the fun will be when then few cyclist use the cycle lanes and the majority of the cyclists use the vehicle lanes and neither give way.

Maybe if professional drivers could act more professional there would be less problems. Not much difference really. Cyclist go through red lights so do lorry drivers.

There are good cyclists and bad cyclists, like there are good drivers and drivers in every type of vehicle.

In my time as a coach driver and having to deal with London it was decided we should sit a cycling CPC and to be honest it was more use than any other CPC I’ve sat.

Yeah sure it’s annoying that some jump lights and so on, but so do a lot of vehicles who take that cycle box at the front of a set of lights and make it theirs. And those drivers of German whips that want to be from lane three off at the sliproad in 100yds. And those truck drivers who leave you hanging for ages rather than clicking back on the cruise to help out and keep roads moving (DickyNick). Theres good and bad in every type…

Some interesting views.

Personally the fact is no one SHOULD break road laws in any vehicle but it happens.

I find it amazing that the cost to implement said roundabout was originally 800k but rose to 2.3 million.

I also wonder what the cycle accidents/death statistics are that warranted spending that kind of money on the improvement, which let’s face it is just going to fox the average motorist even more possibly leading to an accident anyway. Not to mention the few bad cyclists who will take it as their holy right to be in the right so to speak instead of protecting themselves from idiots driving.

Having used these roundabouts in Overveen NL as a driver motorhome & trailer righthand drive and as a cyclist the only problem I see, is with people be it drivers or cyclist approaching too fast. Generally these roundabout cause traffic hold ups as the only safe speed to approach whether driver or cyclist is 10 mph to be able to stop safely.
I like most am guilty of approaching too fast on my electric bike and in the motorhome and had to brake hard.DVSA-ADI grade A.