New Dutch roundabout Cambridge

Dozy’s been…

Round it.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c … e-53736468

yourhavingalarf:
Dozy’s been…

Round it.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c … e-53736468

Closed for 3 days to repair to repair a damaged zebra crossing beacon.
Talk about dragging it out.

My current worry about these roundabouts is the bit where they mention ‘reduced width entry & exit’. Councils/Highways often fail to give adequate room
on the approaches of regular roundabouts, and it’s often a case of knowing that particular road/junction. Generally two full width lanes on the approach, followed by lanes that get narrower once on the roundabout resulting in the driver having to either (blindly as his/her view is blocked by the angle the front of the trailer is at) move further out, or go up the kerb.

Presumably more of these things will be appearing - so will there be a proper standard for them - one that is actually adhered to? As different authorities seem to have different ways of designing roundabouts. There is no set system for which lane goes where (highway code says left lane for left and choose an ‘appropriate’ lane for your exit) and signs that show four lanes when only 3 are present on the road - resulting in a 50/50 as to which lane is going to split into two at the junction (which sometimes can be literally, at the junction). Another classic is when it’s the busiest roundabout in the area and painted arrows & destinations on the floor is deemed acceptable…bad enough in a truck sometimes, especially when it’s busy - don’t know how car drivers manage to see some of them. There’s also shining examples such as the first roundabout at J10 M23 heading to Crawley…4 possible exits to choose from, 3 lanes to use, 1 has Left+Straight, other 2 just say Straight. I’ve learnt not to use the outside one when turning right as it’s narrow, so I just straddle 1+2 and once on the roundabout do it arc de triumph style.

I can appreciate some of the dodgy designs that can’t handle an artic might be on minor roads, or older junction designs but some of the really bad ones have been at ones that are:

1. a primary route, ring road, or road into an industrial estate
  2. junctions that have just been upgraded!

With these dutch roundabouts its essential that they are kept to a standard design, as confusion might not just result in a bit of a prang as we’re now going to have alot more interaction with cyclists and pedestrians at junctions.

2.3 mill for a roundabout. Just as bad here. We’ve got a tee junction with Bribie Island Rd and Old Toorbul road near us. All the mummies that are picking up Tarquin and Priscilla from school with their ever so safe four wheel drives created a fuss because they had to wait a bit before they could turn right. What did the Council/main roads decide? A set of traffic lights at a huge cost when a roundabout would have been more than adequate. Then these local ‘members’ get up and crow about what a marvellous job they’ve done! Couldn’t organise a root in a brothel!