Tyres

I know this can be a very subjective topic, but I’m looking for what’s the best tyre out there.

We’ve got an 18t rigid (two axles) which is our motorhome/race truck.

Not too concerned about mileage as we do approx. 10 000 miles a year.

What’s best for grip in majority of weather/road conditions we get in the UK?

Dave

10000 miles a year, and you worry about grip? Get the cheapest you can and save the expensive rubber for the bike/car that you’re carrying.

No thanks - not whilst I’ve got my family with me

Dave

Are you sure that racing is for you Dave? Sounds awfully dangerous.

the maoster:

Yeah it’s dead scary :smiling_imp:

Anyway, back on topic - can I have some serious suggestions please to a genuine question.

Dave

davemfox:

the maoster:

Yeah it’s dead scary :smiling_imp:

Anyway, back on topic - can I have some serious suggestions please to a genuine question.

Dave

On here?? :open_mouth:

Good luck with that :laughing:

No, seriously, I don’t think anyone on here will be able to help you, either employed drivers who don’t have a say in tyres, or owner drivers who buy the best for economy - whether fuel or life of tyre - or some maybe for the looks of the tyre, although I think most just use white tyre paint now :grimacing:

ask newmercman he has a good knowladge of tyres.
You could also look on the tyre manufacturors websites and take a wander down to your nearest tyre distributor and ask them, even go see a couple of hauliers near you and ask them.
I always found bridgestones to be a good tyre giving a decent wear rate on bulk work

Well the last new set I got on the drive axle were Goodyear and they didn’t last 2 minutes the ended up with big chunks cutting out of the tread.
Iv got hankooks on now and wearing much better

easy - michelin. or if you wanna go ott - nokian, don’t know if they sell them over there though

Next time you are at a race meeting have a look at what the other bods use.I know that there is a forum that the horse community use there horse box type motors would be doing similar work to what your needs are.

Truck tyres now have labels A - G for wet grip and fuel economy (and there’s a noise rating too).

tructyre.co.uk/pdf/tyre-labelling.pdf

Go for one which is A for wet grip.

would a good wet grip tyre not perform worse in dry (as in a F1 car?).

Not unless it’s on a racing car!

haha let myself in for that one!

was just thinking that if they have better wet performance they will have bigger bloks/gaps to disperse said water which would then mean less tyre in contact with the road on dry days?

same with winter tyres if you like.

Michelin is the best tyre on the market without a doubt, remember You only get what you pay for

A good steady driver at our place is still running on a set of conty drive tyres on that the unit came with ,the unit is a 4x2 fh and coming up to 5yrs old,other drivers are on there 3rd or 4th set,it goes to show if you care for the tackle it pays :neutral_face:

Surprising as it may seem, but I would recommend a cheaper tyre in this case!

Tyres don’t last forever and anything over 5yrs old could fail just because of its age, at 10,000miles a year you will never wear out a tyre before it gets too old.

I would steer clear of anything from the east and go with an all position tyre.

Ideally from one of the big three, Michelin, Bridgestone or Continental or one of their other secondary brands.

waynedl:
On here?? :open_mouth:

Good luck with that :laughing:

No, seriously, I don’t think anyone on here will be able to help you, either employed drivers who don’t have a say in tyres, or owner drivers who buy the best for economy - whether fuel or life of tyre - or some maybe for the looks of the tyre, although I think most just use white tyre paint now :grimacing:

Lol @ Wayne

Thanks @ Scotstrucker, Yorkshire Terrier, Alamcculloch and Truckyboy

Milodon - thanks for that. Never heard of Nokian and had to look them up. They do sell tyres in the UK and they are seriously top money!

GasGas - found the tables whilst I’ve been surfing - found a few Bs but I’ll keep looking for the A rated ones.

truckyboy:
Michelin is the best tyre on the market without a doubt, remember You only get what you pay for

Maybe one here for The Maoster

seth 70:
A good steady driver at our place is still running on a set of conty drive tyres on that the unit came with ,the unit is a 4x2 fh and coming up to 5yrs old,other drivers are on there 3rd or 4th set,it goes to show if you care for the tackle it pays :neutral_face:

That’s interesting - must have a good driving style. My current tyres are a mixture of 5 to 8 years old (and different makes) so will definitely need replacing anyway.

newmercman:
Surprising as it may seem, but I would recommend a cheaper tyre in this case!

Tyres don’t last forever and anything over 5yrs old could fail just because of its age, at 10,000miles a year you will never wear out a tyre before it gets too old.

I would steer clear of anything from the east and go with an all position tyre.

Ideally from one of the big three, Michelin, Bridgestone or Continental or one of their other secondary brands.

Thanks - I’ve been checking the big three out. Will see what my local tyre place has in stock from them.

Thanks for everyones help - much appreciated

Dave

Bridgestones for me…

TBH id stick cheapies on the drive’s (something like vaculug’s) and stick some decent michelins or bridgestones on the steers.

B…