VOSA load security enforcement

Have any drivers had recent experiance of VOSA carrying out load security checks,ie the load on board is adequately strapped etc.Does any driver have any info of load security being enforced in its entirety throughout the UK by VOSA/police.I am aware of the legislation in place that each divisible part of a load should be secured so as to prevent any movement but as we all know here in the UK all loads do not get strapped dependant on the nature of the load being carried.I am a veteran LGV driver of 30years experiance.
Any info/experiance of the above recently would be greatly appreciated,ta ,Petemelyn

Wouldn’t be that arsed unless you tip any on to the road then the police and vosa will be interested.

The police won’t normally, vosa probably will be if you get stopped in a random check or your load is on a flat bed they may stop more obviously.

I’m not too bothered about it unless I feel it needs strapping.

got stopped the other week at jn 20 M60 in a curtain side 7.5t carrying pallets of shrink wrapped hazardous goods load checked six of seven pallets secured with internal straps last pallet secured with a ratchet strap over the top then the lot secured with a ratchet strap down each side then crossed over at the back .
told he would of failed me for the internals if hadnt had the ratchet straps down each side to secure them so make of that what you will

Isn’t it a paradox when “checking load security” it actually involves breaking a company seal, and stealing (a look at least) inside the load?

What happens when like at Supermarkets, the load is sealed when you pick it up? Who’s fault if it’s within weight parameters, but lopsidedly loaded/top heavy or whatever?

I don’t think we should have any “pulled on sus” laws for trucking harrassment here. Just look closely once, and if, the bod has a prang with a dodgy load. :wink:

Who’s VOSSA?
I’ve heard of VOSA though…

Turns out that one of my fellow drivers was vosa checked.He had a load of bagged cement on pallets,the rear pallets were ratchet strapped but the rest were not.He had an immediate prohibition for insecure load so just be wary an strap your load fellow drivers :slight_smile:

One of our drivers was pulled on a random check near Stoke yesterday.

He had a load of double stacked bailed waste tissue that he had secured with the internal straps, even though he had a tautliner trailer.

The Inspector was more than satisfied with how the load was secured and assured our driver that VOSA do recognise the difference between Tautliners and Curtainsiders.

The VOSA guy also explained it was why the other truck on the check site had been given a prohibition. That truck had a curtainsider loaded with unsecured waste tyres, it had been immobilised and the driver was waiting for another truck to tranship the load.

Probably not the most fun way to spend a Friday afternoon?

W

petemelyn:
Turns out that one of my fellow drivers was vosa checked.He had a load of bagged cement on pallets,the rear pallets were ratchet strapped but the rest were not.He had an immediate prohibition for insecure load so just be wary an strap your load fellow drivers :slight_smile:

No great surprise in this day and age…wont be long before your snap box with need a strap to keep it on the bed…Just in case a stray sandwich breaks your neck when you brake !!
Hindrance and Suffering gone mad, but they will Always win .

All this effort securing loads makes me quite happy that the two main areas I work in are bulk tippers and liquid fuel tankers. No strapping for me!

Paul

So, they’ve got every company and driver checking and defecting vehicles to the verge of paranoia, drivers frightened to death of going ten minutes over their hours, companies handing out warnings for the smallest of infringements, desperate to prove how compliant they are, now they’re making work for themselves on the non-issue of load security.

There are only so many things to find fault with, be it driver or vehicle. What’s going to be the next MAJOR ROAD SAFETY ISSUE WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE after load security?

Scanner:
So, they’ve got every company and driver checking and defecting vehicles to the verge of paranoia, drivers frightened to death of going ten minutes over their hours, companies handing out warnings for the smallest of infringements, desperate to prove how compliant they are, now they’re making work for themselves on the non-issue of load security.

There are only so many things to find fault with, be it driver or vehicle. What’s going to be the next MAJOR ROAD SAFETY ISSUE WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE after load security?
[/quote

As much as I miss the job ( heaps sometimes ) as I can no longer Drive. Its [zb]
like this that actually helps me , as there is a demon inside that would want to punch the lights out of some of the morons who make and enforce the namby pamby rules nowadays. real Professsional Drivers do not need to be treated like schoolchildren on their first day.

3 wheeler:

Scanner:

[/quote

As much as I miss the job ( heaps sometimes ) as I can no longer Drive. Its [zb]
like this that actually helps me , as there is a demon inside that would want to punch the lights out of some of the morons who make and enforce the namby pamby rules nowadays. real Professsional Drivers do not need to be treated like schoolchildren on their first day.

Amen to that. I’m sorry to hear about you not being able to drive any more, by the way. :frowning:

3 wheeler:

Scanner:

[/quote

It’s not as bad as it sounds on TNUK mate, reading the stuff on here would make anyone want to stay at home.

Being out on the road doing the job as well as you can will never change, till the get robots to drive the lorries (some would say they already have) at least the stories might be different…

I still enjoy my job, I would hate it if I couldn’t drive anymore, take care

W

Scanner is bang on the money there.

I know they have to police but this rabid persuit of late about load securing is a bit much to say the least.

3 wheeler:

Scanner:

[/quote

I second this post as I am in exactly the same position,how the job gets done I don’t know.
regards dave.

AlexWignall:

The VOSA guy also explained it was why the other truck on the check site had been given a prohibition. That truck had a curtainsider loaded with unsecured waste tyres, it had been immobilised and the driver was waiting for another truck to tranship the load.

W

Can someone put me right as how to secure a load of tyres, waste or otherwise?

axletramp:

AlexWignall:

W

Parcel tape :grimacing:

Darb:

axletramp:

AlexWignall:

W

And pink ribbon :laughing:

gardun:

Darb:

axletramp:

AlexWignall:

W

And pink ribbon :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DAF95XF:
Who’s VOSSA?
I’ve heard of VOSA though…

Vossa - related to Rozza? :smiley:

What doya reckon is a fair punishment for having “not enough straps” or “top heavy load” where you get pulled, but have not actually come to grief already?

Firm gets fined? Driver gets fined? Driver gets fired in lieu of not paying fine? Both get fined? Licence endorsed? O licence at risk?
What’s the official line from Vosa on any mission to serve the public interest first and foremost? :confused: