VOSA load security enforcement

simples Attend court ask that the officer that has brought the prosecution to be present to explain how to secure the said load and with what equipment. then ask said enforcement officer where the said equipment is to be stored and what other equipment is to be carried and stored. then ask the officer when and who is responsible for checking that all equipment is regularly rated and of serviceable quality.
Then who trained him on how to secure a load etc etc
I would just love to have a go

axletramp:
Can someone put me right as how to secure a load of tyres, waste or otherwise?

Perhaps they ought to have gone on a trailer that was suitable for the job? Maybe a box, a tautliner, a tipper or even a flat (if the driver was up to it) I’m not right bothered.

Our lad had the right kit for the job and he knew how to use it, consequently he free to continue his journey.

The point of my post was that there is a difference between a Tautliner and a Curtainsider and although it hasn’t quite sunk in with some Trucknetters it seems some VOSA staff have got the message.

W

They would be better off getting the flip flops off parking on the M25 on the hard shoulder for breaks and overnights, if you or I did it, we would be well ■■■■■■, but they get away with it every night.

Sapper

The Inspector was more than satisfied with how the load was secured and assured our driver that VOSA do recognise the difference between Tautliners and Curtainsiders

Could someone please explain to me the difference between a Tautliner and a curtainsider ?

I was under the impression that “Tautliner” was the trade name for curtainsiders built by Boalloy.

Soredian:

The Inspector was more than satisfied with how the load was secured and assured our driver that VOSA do recognise the difference between Tautliners and Curtainsiders

Could someone please explain to me the difference between a Tautliner and a curtainsider ?

I was under the impression that “Tautliner” was the trade name for curtainsiders built by Boalloy.

you are right it is/was

AlexWignall:

axletramp:
Can someone put me right as how to secure a load of tyres, waste or otherwise?

Perhaps they ought to have gone on a trailer that was suitable for the job? Maybe a box, a tautliner, a tipper or even a flat (if the driver was up to it) I’m not right bothered.

Our lad had the right kit for the job and he knew how to use it, consequently he free to continue his journey.

The point of my post was that there is a difference between a Tautliner and a Curtainsider and although it hasn’t quite sunk in with some Trucknetters it seems some VOSA staff have got the message.

W

i’ve never heard there’s a difference :confused:

A Tautliner is a generic name for a trailer fitted with heavy duty curtains and integral load bearing straps built to secure a specific type of load, used especially in conjunction with the internal straps fitted to rails in the roof of the trailer. Genuine Boalloy curtains even come with a load rating marked onto them.

A Curtainsider is simply a trailer fitted with lightweight sliding curtains with buckles attached to the bottom. These curtains are solely for weather protection and should not be considered a load restraint for any type of load.

Naturally, no type of curtain is specifically designed to secure loads that are very heavy and are prone to shifting for example, full IBCs, concrete segments or chipboard.

These type of loads will need to be secured by means of rachet straps, friction mats and or corner protectors. Chipboard is often best secured by steel banding securing the load to the load bed.

We have new drivers who have been driving for less than a year that understand and comply with this stuff, I can’t believe I have had to type it out for the benefit of experienced drivers who contribute to TNUK, if anyone is in any further doubt just wait till your next VOSA check and sort it out with them.

W

I wonder how Boalloy would react if Schmitz for example, called their curtainsider a Tautliner.

Scanner:
I wonder how Boalloy would react if Schmitz for example, called their curtainsider a Tautliner.

I do believe that there has already been court action over the name ‘Tautliner’ and that design of curtain. If it wasn’t that Important why would they bother?

W

Because intellectual property is very important to the company that owns it. In France, tautliner is a generic word for a curtainsider but you won’t see many French firms running Boalloy products.

Scanner:
Because intellectual property is very important to the company that owns it.

Thanks, I always appreciate a literal answer to a rhetorical question.

More fool them

W

AlexWignall:
A Tautliner is a generic name for a trailer fitted with heavy duty curtains and integral load bearing straps built to secure a specific type of load, used especially in conjunction with the internal straps fitted to rails in the roof of the trailer. Genuine Boalloy curtains even come with a load rating marked onto them.

Right you are.

AlexWignall:

A Curtainsider is simply a trailer fitted with lightweight sliding curtains with buckles attached to the bottom. These curtains are solely for weather protection and should not be considered a load restraint for any type of load.

Naturally, no type of curtain is specifically designed to secure loads that are very heavy and are prone to shifting for example, full IBCs, concrete segments or chipboard.

These type of loads will need to be secured by means of rachet straps, friction mats and or corner protectors. Chipboard is often best secured by steel banding securing the load to the load bed.

We have new drivers who have been driving for less than a year that understand and comply with this stuff, I can’t believe I have had to type it out for the benefit of experienced drivers who contribute to TNUK, if anyone is in any further doubt just wait till your next VOSA check and sort it out with them.

W

no need to get arsey fella!!

according to HSE
hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr662.pdf

Tautliner: A trade name for vehicles built by Boalloy, now used as a generic
name for curtain-sided vehicles.

like i said, i’ve never heard that there’s an industry wide accepted difference between a tautliner and a curtainsider. i’ve never claimed i know everything either.

maybe it’s a local to you thing? maybe it’s a your firm thing? maybe it’s a vosa man in your area’s thing and his preaching have spread? or maybe it’s an industry wide accepted thing? i don’t know, but i’ve never heard of it.

stevieboy308:

No, you’re right

according to HSE

[/quote]
You offer one sentence from a two hundred and forty page document that actually confirms what I posted in less than five paragraphs in an effort to contradict me?

What’s there to arsey about…?

The firm I work for has been in private ownership doing the same kind of work since 1953, if you think you might have something to add to our work practises speak freely.

I personally have twenty years unblemished general haulage experience, seven of which with my current firm. If you have something to add that might improve the work that I do, I say again, speak freely.

If you’re just trying to be clever on an Internet forum by running to Google, I say ■■■■ off and leave the grownups to do their work…

W

He means euroliner is different to a curtainsider/tautliner(which means the same thing) as they have the stupid planks in the side on euroliners.

AlexWignall:

stevieboy308:

No, you’re right

[\quote] according to HSE

You offer one sentence from a two hundred and forty page document that actually confirms what I posted in less than five paragraphs in an effort to contradict me?

The firm I have work worked for has been in private ownership doing the same kind of work since 1953, if you think you might have something to add to our work practises speak freely.

I personally have twenty years unblemished general haulage experience, seven of which with my current firm. If you have something to add that might improve the work that I do, I say again, speak freely.

If you’re just trying to be clever on an Internet forum by running to Google, I say ■■■■ off and leave the grownups to do their work…

W
[/quote]
Speaking freely about life in general:

Stop being an anorak and a road captain. I’ve got an image in my head of you tutting and pursing your lips as you write. I can nearly hear your droning monotone voice as you slip seamlessly into your next subject, a potted history of Formica or something equally riveting.

You’re the one trying to be smart and you’re losing, you look rather sad instead.

Twenty years unblemished service? Uh-huh, of course you have. Never ever blemished your service…

You know, real trucks have further to go than the end of your mantelpiece, so let the people in the real world get on with it and stop fantasising.

Having operated about circa 150+ BOALLOY TAUTLINERS over 20 years there is a very distinct difference between them (BOALLOY) and curtainsiders that were manufactured by many other firms i.e. curtainsiders were ■■■■■ compared to BOALLY TAUTLINERS and I employed upwards of 200 drivers and shunters who would wholeheartedly agree with my aforementioned coments.Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Having operated about circa 150+ BOALLOY TAUTLINERS over 20 years there is a very distinct difference between them (BOALLOY) and curtainsiders that were manufactured by many other firms i.e. curtainsiders were [zb] compared to BOALLY TAUTLINERS and I employed upwards of 200 drivers and shunters who would wholeheartedly agree with my aforementioned coments.Cheers Bewick.

Yes. I can see the VOSA trainer now:

If it’s a Boalloy there’s no need to stop them, nothing at all will be wrong with it, ever. Anything else and get those lights flashing pronto!

Why do you always salute yourself at the end of a post? Are you a meglomaniac?

AlexWignall:

stevieboy308:

No, you’re right

according to HSE

The firm I have work worked for has been in private ownership doing the same kind of work since 1953, if you think you might have something to add to our work practises speak freely.

W
[/quote]
dude, what’s your problem?

the reason i quoted that bit from HSE was because that was in the terms / definitions section.

the reason i went running to google, isn’t that what everyone does with an internet connection when they don’t know something, but want to find out about it? nothing to do with trying to look clever, just moving the debate on. why not post up the relevant 5 paragraphs? as i stopped scan reading once i got to the terms / definitions section.

like i said, i think you came across arsey with the - the lads that have only been doing this a year know this, i can’t believe you don’t rant. so i had a google to see i’d missed something, i couldn’t find anything so i asked if it could be a local thing or if it is a widely accepted term that i’ve missed, where’s the problem in that?

i’ve no interest in your company’s working practises other than to establish if their use of the terms tautliner and curtainsider is something they do, or something everybody does.

the same goes for your work history and long may it continue unblemished fella

and i’ll ■■■■ off when i want, not when you want thank you very much, unless i get banned :wink:

Scanner:
Speaking freely about life in general:

Stop being an anorak and a road captain. I’ve got an image in my head of you tutting and pursing your lips as you write. I can nearly hear your droning monotone voice as you slip seamlessly into your next subject, a potted history of Formica or something equally riveting.

You’re the one trying to be smart and you’re losing, you look rather sad instead.

Twenty years unblemished service? Uh-huh, of course you have. Never ever blemished your service…

You know, real trucks have further to go than the end of your mantelpiece, so let the people in the real world get on with it and stop fantasising.

After spending seven years at sea after I left school and twenty years driving trucks it could be fair to say I’ve spent my entire working life in transport and I’m proud to say that I have.

So much so that my username is my real name and my avatar is a picture of the truck that I drive.

I didn’t start this thread but I felt that I had something to contribute to it, if that makes me a boring self appointed ‘road captain’ fair enough.

You’re the guy who’s responding to my posts so what exactly, does that make you?

W