THAMES TRADERS

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

Fergie47:

Stanfield:

What a fantastic and evocative photo “Stanfield”. Driver nipping in for a quick cup of tea or lunch perhaps.!!
Who was he ? is that street still there ? what happened to the wagon ?

If memory serves, didn’t they do a Trader 75, presumably that was an up-rated engine to cope with the tag axle and higher GVW. What was the original HP ?
Didn’t they also fit an 8 cyl Gardner 8LXB engine in them ? Think I may have a photo somewhere !!! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
Sorry Den, only kiddin !!! :wink:

OK OK you P*taker !! I think the “75” designation was right at the latter end of production and was classed as a 7:5 tonner I don’t think the engine was “tweaked” it was just the stronger springs and I think they could have gone onto air over Hydrualic brakes in place of Vaccum (which were st) The engine was about 90/95BHP from memory but mine did have the 8LXB/Fuller/Eaton (and a 10ft flat!!!)No doubt some of the Trader experts will put me straight.Cheers Dennis.

A Mk 2 version was introduced in mid-1962. Externally it is very easy to differentiate between Mk1 and Mk2 versions; the Mk1 has the words THAMESTRADER in red on a chrome strip along the bottom of the bonnet opening and the white painted grill between the headlights has a vertical divider with a red circular badge with 4 stars, whereas the Mk2 has just the word THAMES and TRADER in white letters spaced out between the headlights replacing the divider and badge. The Mk2 Diesel engined variants had either a 4D or 6D chrome badge on each front wing, on the Mk1 it was a squarish chrome badge with either a red painted 4, 6, 4D or 6D to indicate the engine configuration. The lower edge of the badge had a horizontal chrome strip running the length of the lower part of the wing.

Steady on Dave your baffling us lads with science here!!! What sort of badge did the Traders that were fitted with the 8LXB have? Anon.