South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

thanks for that,it’s so sad to see what little is left of the once thriving south wales haulage industry/companies.the only really large one now are owens,they recently moved out of what was joint motorways yard on the docks at port talbot,joints where located there for around 30 years.both my father and i drove for them and painted their fleet.john raymond another large (though not as big as they were)welsh firm seemed to have survived with rockwool,tesco and other contracts.both raymond’s brothers used to be in haulage,argosy and vale transport respectivley.blue line became carline then stiller bought them and they have now all but disapeared off the south wales radar.it’s difficult to explain without boring you all ( i hope i am not) the importance of “the abbey” steelworks at margam to all of these and the many more firms that relied on the steel traffic,to give you some idea joint motorways (just them) used to tip well over 100 loads of steel everyday from “the abbey”,the dozens of others would do at least the same.now what bulk tonnage does leave is delivered to roundoak in the midlands by rail,the rest is auctioned off on-line to the lowest bidder.sorry to be negative.that’s the problem with the truth,it hurts.