Shropshire Hauliers,

dessert driver:
Hi Dave
Although the Scania was King of the road at the time, the comepition being 150/180 Gardners, that little Bedford when loaded would stick with the loaded Scania. Unforturnetly the goverment in their wisdom decided to change from “under 3 ton unladen” to “over7.5 ton gross”.They gave anyone,including me, driving a vehicle under 3 ton unladen but under 21 a HGV licence up to 10 ton gross.Therefore taking 2.35 ton of my payload.This coincided with Father going out ME so we parked the Bedford up and I went second man with him. I drove that Scania over the water for two years doing over 150,000 mile before I was old enough to get my class 1 over here.You are right in what you say about the size of the moden trucks, I now drive a 144/530 for G Mayer plant hire from Coton nr Whitchurch and would have no problem with loading a 40t machine on the stepframe. Not so long ago anything over about 12t would have been put on a drop well trailer.
Here is a couple of photos of it with a 25t machine on taken at Horsehay Telford ready to move to Immingham docks on route to Sweden.

Over weight, over sixty, and parked near St Davids Pembroke march this year. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

By the way Dave most of your photos of tippers seem to be taken from the pasenger seat of your van, have you got a showfer or a seat cover taking photos for you? Also there seems to be a lot taken in a layby with a butty van in it, Does the boss know you keep stopping or have you got shares in it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: