South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Mark,you and your Ford Cargo’s!
You are correct Alan Price did run 6 wheel cargo’s,with the Michelin men.This was carried over from the days they fitted them to their 8 wheel Deutz’s,which also had air horns.
I was working there when the first cargo came on a Y plate,with a V6 air cooled Deutz.An alloy body was transferred off a D series Ford and she was put to work, running shale from Merthyr Vale to Dowlais top,then running over to Vaynor quarry for roadstone used on the A470 by-pass.It had a payload of 17+ tonne, and did loook the part.I believe after the miners strike a batch of 4 were added replacing 3 D series Fords,and the last 2 road going Dodges.
I never did get to drive one,as shortly after the first one arrived I moved to London,but a few of my friends had them and spoke highly of them. The D series was always a comfortable cab with good visability,mine had a two speed eaton rear axle, and would out pull those with the roadranger 4+4 box, my only negative point would be tfhe brakes or lack of.
Needless to say the cargo became a legend in its own right. Here in the States,you will find them under the Ford,Sterling and Freightliner badge. They never brought the Euro-Cargo over,and with Mercedes Benz closing their Sterling plant the cargo is due to be retired.
Sorry but I don’t have any pics
Paul