GREAT NEWS

yourhavingalarf:

muckles:
It took many years for those vaccines to be developed, tested and approved, on average it takes 10 years.

Yes…

I agree, all those vaccines I mentioned have taken years to develop. This new vaccine has been played with since the SARS outbreak in 2002. The fact that it’s a new approach is the reason for it’s rapid development. Not utilising the actual virus itself to stimulate protection is the key difference.

I’m not at all clinically minded at all, but I see it in the same way as the fuel injection system replaced carburettor. Something that worked well since it’s inception but fuel injection made the whole system more reliable and effective. Gone are the days off endlessly cranking your engine to flood the plugs etc. Now you just turn the key and go. I see this vaccine as that. Progress innit.

I don’t think this mRNA vaccination method wasn’t being developed for SARS, they were looking into it for things some other diseases, although they weren’t having much success. Although apparently if it works it does have great potential for other diseases, even some cancers, so it could be good in the long run.

But to go with your fuel injection analogy, I’m sure the first systems were not as reliable or as well understood as modern fuel injection or even the well developed carburettors of the same period and to keep with the vehicle analogy, there are plenty of examples of manufacturers spending millions developing and testing new technology, only to find once its in the real World it doesn’t always work as well as they thought, but after a while those issues are ironed out and it become a standard feature we all live with.

I’m not anti Vax in any way, I’ve had them for foreign travel and boosters for various things when I’ve been to the Doctors and if this disease was something like Ebola, I’d be fighting my way to the front of the queue, but it isn’t, yes it can be fatal, but for most people its a mild illness, sometimes, in the case of my niece, so mild she didn’t know she’d had it until she had an antibody test.