Turners v EStobart

I’ve worked for both of them, and ESL was head and shoulders above Turners. In my book, Turners are the rock bottom of UK haulage.

ESL had good kit, where you’d get a newish truck every day if you work days, or an allocated truck if you’re a tramper. The trailers were all clean, new, and the work tended to be clean and easy palletised stuff. Management could be better, but you cracked on and were left to it. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Turners, however. Horrible management, who have it bred into them that drivers are lower than a piece of sh*t. Trucks with more telematics than a space shuttle, and cameras pointed at you. Pay used to be below minimum wage, but pushed above NMW by “productivity bonuses”. Newmarket is like a category A prison. You literally can’t use a toilet without asking permission, and some office bod unlocking the doors for you. Shocking treatment of their drivers, and a massive “them and us” culture. Planners were liars, cheats, and bullies. I had angry phone calls from planners and TMs, asking why I had a night out here, and not there, why I parked up after 14 hours, when I could have got 1 hour closer to my drop. Demanded I take breaks on bays. Threatened to be forced to work at the weekend unless I tipped their load that night. Contract twisted to try and force you to work every other weekend… The list goes on. Out of all UK haulage companies, they are probably the most reliant on Eastern European drivers in the country. You wonder why. Lower than a snake’s belly.

Do not work for Turners. Life is way too short for this. A job is about value, and your employer valueing you. ESL at least do things that show they value their employees, however small. Turners do nothing, because to them a driver is the lowest denominator.