Cumbria companies

Lawrence Dunbar:

ec11:

Bewick:
Hiya EC11, a bit more info about Hodgsons ----- What was the main southbound traffic for the three trunks ? and what was Hodgsons main traffic ex London area ? was it back to north ■■■■■■■ only or did they run up into Scotland like Watts did ? Cheers Bewick.

ee up BEWICK
most of the colney trunk loads consisted of womens hats from KANGOL at CLEATOR MOOR @ FRIZINGTON
shoes from BATA at MARYPORT- PAINT from WALTONS at HALTWHISTLE( later to become CROWN)- peat from FISONS at KIRKBRIDE-
sheep skins from ■■?(cant remember their name) at WORKINGTON- timber pulp logs from SCOTTISH FORESTRY to BOWATERS at SITTINGBORNE-
loads from MARCHON at WHITEHAVEN- cotton wool from COWANS at DALSTON- boilers from COCHRANS at ANNAN plus a few other bits and bobs.
what didnt go on the trunks went on the trampers.
the main customers north were biscuits from HUNTLEY @ PALMERS- electric goods from PHILIPS/ MORPHY RICHARDS- NABISCO- CLARNICO=
SHREDDED WHEAT-MARY BAKER cake mixes- SUCHARDS- DCA mixes-paper from KINGS LANGLEY plus allsort off other stuff. most of the loads north
were for redistribution in ■■■■■■■■ south scotland but if anything came up for further it went on tramper (could be anywhere)

The sheepskin firm Was called Sultra, at Clay Flats Workington, I used to deliver bagged sawdust imported from Denmark in the 50/60s Era, They used it to clean the skins, I was given a reject skin which I used as a bonnet cover on my Atki 4 wheeler, The good old days IMO, Regards Larry.

thanks for that LD your right it was SULTRA . if i remember rightly their van was the only one that ever had a padlock on. they locked it when
it was loaded and they had a key at london to open it again. ps. funny how things jog your memory but LD mentioned sawdust and one of our regular
loads north was hard wood sawdust from a sawmill at ROYSTON-HERTS to a ball bearing factory at IRVINE. they used this sawdust to polish up the
balls in big cement mixer type drums. EC11