Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

oiltreader:

HRS:

windrush:
Regarding the sheeting/roping of certain lorries can somebody explain please how Whitbread secured theirs as it doesn’t look as though the body sides drop down? Are there rings in the floor, there appears to be something below the floor where the straps are (or are they hinges?) and I have seen various pics of their Leylands and Fodens and all have the same type bodies. Not my pic but copied from the webb.

My first thought was, something wrong but could not figure what !!! then it jumped at me.
Booze is heavy and this looks fully loaded but look at the wheel clearance against the wings all round. set up for the picture ■■ or what, they would have been cart springs not air. OK, back to sleep, Harvey

Load of Light Ale Harvey :laughing:
Oily

Good job it wasn’t stout, the fitted sheet might be too small. :smiley:

I’m led to believe the reason Whitbread used the set-up is they didn’t like to cover up the signwriting, also ropes were less tidy and chafed the paintwork. They were very fussy about their lorries, tended to remove all the loose badges from the radiator, like the Atkinson big As and the Perkins four rings, as they didn’t like to advertise other firms. When available they liked to specify AEC engines. Although that Foden is a BRS contract motor it was built to Whitbread spec, body, non-standard cab, trafficators etc.
Bernard