The Foden 2 Stroke Engine

Bewick:

gingerfold:
Foden two stroke engine… a lot of noise and fuss for very little performance… and yes I have driven one.

Now now Graham be very carful posting scathing opinions like this about the Foden “sacred cow” !!! Although I reckon a “sacred cow” would be a better prospect than a Foden 2 Stroke engine ! :blush: You must realise Mate that criticising a bag of [zb] like this engine is akin to doing the same to a Vegan !! I’m surprised at you Graham as if we don’t mind you will be disputing that the world is not flat and the moon is not made of green cheese ! Cheers Dennis.

I can’t really see why you describe it as a ‘bag of ■■■■’ Dennis? It was in production for many years, possibly a similar time span as the presumably ‘equally bag of ■■■■’ TS3 engine that was extremely popular especially with tipper operators in this area, and it was a very lightweight (under half a ton) economical and latterly very reliable power unit? As I said previously I knew many who drove and operated them and all rated them for their fantastic performance (hills, what hills were those then?) so they couldn’t have been THAT bad? Drivers who had driven them and were then handed a Gardner 150 engined Foden were rather dissapointed. I can’t think off hand which other two strokes were as popular in the UK in heavy road vehicles as the Foden and Rootes engines were? :confused:

There was one downside though, at least locally, as when Bernard Swain’s drivers left the yard at Cromford wharf with their two stroke engined tankers they couldn’t fiddle their start time as Bernard could hear them passing his house on the A6, they got round it by parking at the quarry in Cromford and going the ‘back way’ to Derby via Wirksworth! :wink:

Pete.