Cumbria companies

hodgeturbo:

This is a shot from “The pits”! :blush: Leyland Comet new into service 14/4/1958, “scrapped” 30/4/1968 At a good guess looking at the state of this unit and trailer for that matter I am confident in saying that it’s days down the road were well and truly over and it had been relegated to only operating within the boundaries of Barrow Borough and, of course, the Borough boundary was also that of the Local Police Force ! The Big’un ( Bob Brady senior) was a good Pal of the Chief Constable so the small matter of running untaxed, uninsured, bald tyres, no brakes, no lights and overloaded was permitted as long as the boundary between Barrow and the then County of Lancashire was not crossed !! I kid you not as a 19 year old trailer mate I had a “run in” with shunting a severely overloaded ( 22ton ) 4 in line with a life expired LAD Comet from the Steel Works to the depot for transhipping onto the Octopus and trailer. Well this Motor cycle Bobby followed me into the yard this day and started to enquire why the trailer had no number plate !!! NO ■■■■■■■ No.PLATE !!! and he was no doubt about to set about me big time but The Big’un had “clocked” what was happening and he was out the office and across the yard like a bullet to intervene ! Basically he told the young Bobby to get on his bike and “do one” but with a bit more flavoured language ! finally telling the PC that he , The Big’un, was having dinner with his Boss that night and he would have a word with him about the “incident”. The Bobby did as he was told and got his bike and “went forth” end of incident !
While I’m on the subject of Brady’s and Cowboy town I recall the heaviest load I had seen at around the same time which was about 6 or 7 rounds of loose pulp bales on the low loader which was coupled to an old square cabbed Beaver. The load must have been 50 ton or thereabouts and was en route between Barrow Docks and the then new Bowater Scott Paper Mill ! Why bother doing 3 or 4 trips with a 4 in line and Comet when you can shift the same tonnage in one shot !! Those were the days ! Cheers Bewick.