Buses, coaches, & lorries

ramone:
The second link may be of interest to you if you have time to read it , Leyland management getting a roasting in Parliament for blaming the workforce for closures.

It certainly is interesting in vindicating much of what I’ve said elsewhere about the scapegoating of the workforce while that also applied to many different sectors of our manufacturing industry and I was certainly well aware of similar demoralisation taking place at Scammell and Bedford and even to an extent my own employers all of us knowing that the writing was on the wall.I was made redundant in the May of 1980 in the first round of redundancies.Followed by the closure of our factory a few years later.The remaining workforce having been told that the cut backs would help to ensure its future which was obviously lies.Although my view is that parliament was also being misled as to the real agenda which was all about the deliberate run down of our domestic industrial capacity to the benefit of imports and/or foreign takeover of what we had left.As shown by Pavitt thinking that the problem was Leyland’s management when the real question is why was public money being thrown at Leyland Group while at the same time it was being deliberately run down.With the flood gates opened to the benefit of foreign imports and foreign ‘cooperation’.Which ironically seems to have gone along the lines of Leyland Group truck division sold out to DAF and Leyland Group buses and GM Trucks sold out to the interests of Volvo.

IE a state funded hidden gradual exit strategy to avoid a hard landing for the bankers and investors ?.

While the fact that RT’s were still needed in service into the late 1970’s seems to confirm the idea that production of the RM was ceased prematurely,laughably so.