Buses, coaches, & lorries

Ray Smyth:

windrush:

240 Gardner:

windrush:
What was the difference between the Bristol Lodekka and the Dennis Loline? They looked basically similar (and I know that Bristols were not available to non national companies) but one large bus company in my home town ran Lodekka’s and seemed to like them wheras the corporation had Lolines and everyone in the repair shop seemed to hate the things! :confused:

Pete.

The Loline was a Lodekka built under licence, so that it could be sold to non-nationalised operators
[/quote]

Yes I know that but I wondered if there was a difference mechanically. However, apart from some engine options, I’m informed that they were the same. A ‘mechanics nightmare’ apparently! :unamused:

Pete.

Hi Pete, Yes, the Bristol Lodekka was an unusual machine, particularly in the line of the transmission.
First picture shows the driveline coming down the chassis on the offside, and then dividing at the diff
to the drivewheels. The second picture shows the diff is further up the chassis, and the driveline going
rearwards and across from this point. I believe the Lodekka was a reliable vehicle, they had a choice
of engines from the start, Gardner 5LW, Gardner 6LW, Bristols own engine, and later, some were fitted
with Gardner 6LX. Ray.

Sorry Ray but the transmission line you describe was standard industry practice for all low body double decker chassis, and also for most standard height bodied chassis. There’s nothing unusual about that layout.