Tanker Assesment

jakethesnake:

Nite Owl:

jakethesnake:

Conor:
Your braking and acceleration will be the thing they look at the most along with putting on the park brake when you come to a stop or keeping your foot brake on. This is because if you’re taking liquid in a tanker, especially milk where the tanks can’t be baffled, the liquid moves more when you come to a stop or accelerate harshly and when you come to a stop if you don’t either put the park brake on or keep your foot brake applied the movement of the liquid can be enough to push you forward. Also you need to let the vehicle in front of you move off a bit further than normal before you set off because if you time it wrong so you’re letting off the brake as the surging liquid reaches its forward most point of movement the moment you let off your brake you can shoot forward very quickly.

Conor sorry to intervene but your last sentence would only happen to a complete fool. For it to surge foward and hit the vehicle in front from a standstill you would almost have to have stopped inches from the vehicle in front. You come out with some whoppers from time to time. :wink:

To keep you right, when you stop behind another vehicle always leave enough room that if anything happens you can pull round the said vehicle safely.

Considering the target audience in this case has no tanker experience, I think it’s a very valid point. I have no tanker experience either, and although I am aware that the sloshing liquid will push the tanker forward, the distance it pushes me could well catch me by surprise.

As a “former driver trainer” surely you understand the importance of filling in all the potential gaps in the learners knowledge.

OMG Do you really think any assessor would take a driver who has no tanker experience out in a loaded unbaffled tanker? I can tell you theres not a chance in hell.

Any driver that did or does what Conor said should not be driving tankers and any driver putting himself in that situation would never get a job. End of.

GOODNIGHT… :unamused:

Considering that my reply was aimed at your response to Connors point, the full/empty tank on assessment is irrelevant. Driving with a full tank requires knowledge which any responsible driver (like the op) would seek from more experienced drivers. Therefore, Connors reply was perfectly justified whilst you just did your usual superior and dismissive comments.

Perhaps you could use your “decades of experience” to actually help drivers on this forum instead of lording it over us and telling us how you know everything.

A GOOD DAY TO YOU TOO. :unamused: