Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

tyneside:

Leyland600:
Hi Tyneside ,Take note of the way those 10 stone bags of flour are loaded on Ranks 8 wheelers each two upright bags barrowed onto the platform and set up against the first three rows cross butteressed. Next sheet the load and tie about 4 cross ropes over the sheet at equal points along the platform length and across the back rows and away you go. This was the regular way most flour millers dispatched their products back in the 1960s I have hauled numerous loads of flour this way, some out of Ranks without any mishap.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

In the Seventies we used to do some local work out of Spillers on the Newcastle side with a couple of 7.5 tonne TKs. It was usually delivering to the little shops with a bakery out the back. Ten bags of this five bags of the other, you know what I mean. If I remember by then everything was 25 or 50 kilo bags.

Tyneside

Aye Tyneside, Thats when the bag weights started to change, From catch weights when hauling bagged grain from farms to the likes off Spillers & ■■■■ hole Ranks at Gateshead, 56Lbs bags were introduced for animal feed stuff about that time, But it was all handball, The bit that ■■■■■■ me off was Spillers on the Quay used to take it off pallets put it on the belt & you had balled it on a 33 foot trailer, Then when you delivered to their Hull Mill you put it back onto their pallets, Oh dear how things have changed, The gits that worked there new it was wrong but the didnt give a monkeys, Its al lover for the best now, Of course Im out of the haulage game now , Thank God, Regards Larry.