Burning hole in pocket

A bloke who is 23 has got £30k lives at home and wants to use the money wisely to make a living. Would you go for HGV or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spend it wisely on Whiskey cigars and wild wimmin’

Not sure…

What other kind of trade or qualification you could do but, I wouldn’t advise anyone to get into this industry now.

I certainly wouldn’t be planning on spending it on a vehicle and starting out on your own. Fine, spend a few grand on a licence and Adr but you’ll soon end up without the £30k in your pocket.

sent using smoke signals

I’d maybe take my licence get a job then use money as a deposit on a nice house.
And maybe still live at home and rent the house out

edd1974:
I’d maybe take my licence get a job then use money as a deposit on a nice house.
And maybe still live at home and rent the house out

This.
Get your training done, find a job and start earning.
£30grand sounds like a lot more money than it actually is, so put it to good use.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

edd1974:

Yep, gets my vote. Put any money left over into a SIPP to give yourself a fighting chance of not retiring in poverty.

Wheel Nut:
A bloke who is 23 has got £30k lives at home and wants to use the money wisely to make a living. Would you go for HGV or something else?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
something else…anything else…

Wheel Nut:

He can’t be wanting to spend it wisely if he’s considering taking his HGV licence, and worse if he’s thinking of spending it on a ■■■■ truck. :open_mouth:
Tell him to get his ticket for plant machines instead, he’ll make far more money than doing this sh.

I’m pleased people think like me. I earned well in better times but my licence only cost me about £200

I don’t think £30k is enough for a “nice” house deposit

I think that some sort of a franchise might be better, Snap on or Auto glass any other thoughts?

Wheel Nut:
I’m pleased people think like me. I earned well in better times but my licence only cost me about £200

I don’t think £30k is enough for a “nice” house deposit

30k is more then enough outside fancy London. People get 90% mortgages so 30k can get a ‘nice’ house.

Buy some cheap chinese stock and become an ebay seller. £30k of stock will make a healthy profit.

Train to be a plumber all you need is a wrench & a blowlamp £80 per hour
and pick n choose your hours

msgyorkie:
Buy some cheap chinese stock and become an ebay seller. £30k of stock will make a healthy profit.

Be better off doing an Amazon fulfillment set up. You buy the stock and for a price Amazon deal with storage and shipping the items.

robroy:

Wheel Nut:

He can’t be wanting to spend it wisely if he’s considering taking his HGV licence, and worse if he’s thinking of spending it on a [zb] truck. :open_mouth:
Tell him to get his ticket for plant machines instead, he’ll make far more money than doing this sh.

3 darts in a playing card.

Choose any prize from the top shelf mate.

It should be enough for him to start studying something meaningful at University in the USA, not the UK…That is what I would do, as the rewards and life experiences are so much greater, I found that out later in life and if I had done so as a youngster…Well, I would not be in the UK, the UK is lost.

All depends on the person. Nobody can answer your question for you. If you really want to drive trucks for a living then get your license.

You will be entering into a dead end job with long hours. 35k a year doesnt sound so good when you put in 80 hours a week and work out your earning minium wage or less per hour.

A better path would be to invest in a propa education if you got a decent head on your shoulders and steer clear of this industry.

For example get a degree in computer science & learn code. Few years of experience you could well be earning 100k for 40 hours a week.

Go do something sensible with your life.

Computers yes if he has a head for it but otherwise plumbing sparky chippy. Work for someone get the experience then go self employed if he feels that’s for him.
No way would I advise anyone to do this job BUT starting now his expectations would be different to mine after 47 years. Who knows it might be right for him and whatever happens it would be a job for life-there will always be a need for drivers in the foreseeable future.

Wheel Nut:

I’d be surprised if you could “make a living” from £30k. It’s enough for some big consumer spending items, but it’s not enough to buy your way out of the labour market.

I wouldn’t recommend it unless he’s willing to take a wild punt on diving into muck and coming up with gold between his teeth.