Eu referendum whats your vote

Spardo:

dexxy57:
Well done David Cameron you spineless piece of [zb]. By trying to sort out the squabbles within your Party you [zb] up the country. (by the way, what’s he up to these days, he’s keeping a very low profile)

And Amen to all that too, though I don’t share your view that revoqueing article 50 (though desirable for both of us) would be a betrayal of anything. Referendums are not binding in Britain and just because politicians say they will stick to a really bad one doesn’t make this one any more binding. Of all the promises ever, and regularly, made and just as regularly, broken, why is this single one so sacrosanct? It isn’t, and the information that we have now but didn’t have before justifies ignoring it.

I also don’t share the belief that Brexit will fail. I believe it will happen, but not with a result that anyone will welcome, on both sides of the discussion.

You’re right, the Referendum was non-binding. I don’t remember the non-binding bit being stressed too much at the time though. As for the information (or mis-information, to be more accurate) that we were being fed, it just shows how much contempt politicians have for the public.

The result isn’t sacrosanct, and they could still legally wriggle out of it by playing the ‘non-binding’ card I suppose. I don’t think they will though, they’ve gone too far, Theresa’s committed to it, and any replacement PM is going to be even more committed. The only safety net they have is a second referendum and neither of the major parties seems to want that. A second referendum would make sense given the information that’s come to light since 2016, but it would possibly divide the nation even further. (The ‘nation’, CF, being the UK. You know, this vassal ■■■■ hole that provides the services you use, including your broadband, and allows you the freedom to spout your endless myopic pish on the internet).

In 2016 there was a binary vote. Leave or Remain. Those who voted Leave didn’t vote for any particular deal. There were no deals at the time. It was either stay or go. Nice and simple, just the way you want a choice to be. And off the Leavers marched, clutching their Union Jacks, and voted to make Britain great again. What was there not to like about Farage, Boris and Gove when they promised us we would ‘Take Back Control’? £350 million a week for the NHS? Yeah, sign me up, sounds brilliant. 80 million Turks with free access to Britain? Wouldn’t want that, would we? People actually fell for this.

We can make our own trade deals we were told, countries will be queuing up to trade with us. ‘It’ll be the easiest deal in history’ said Liam Fox, and to be fair to him, he’s delivered. We’ve got new deals now with the Faroe Islands, Fiji and Switzerland. The good times can’t be far away.