"Heavy Haulage through the years"

DIG:

Spardo:

DIG:
No Spardo you have the right end to play with :laughing: , the 9 speed was a first gear super low then 4 in a H pattern lift the button on the range change and start again at 2nd/6th simple but as I said was a problem child I had it seize in second gear high range 6th gear and I drove it nearly 400kms trying to get it to release which it did about 5 kms from the workshop,the 12 speed was similar change pattern with a split in the high range and a second gear stick just for low low which you could split so not much of a juggle except if you were in heavy going and needed to change down to bog cog on the move then it could be a problem.The quad boxes you drove were a handful without doubt I never had the pleasure.
All the Mack boxes had triple countershafts.
My 2 up day cab adventures taught me how to sleep in multiple positions sitting in the passenger seat,I don’t think I would have been game to sleep on the hungry board.

Cheers Dig

No mate, nor me. :laughing:

In case you were thinking of getting back into it mate just a reminder where they fit.

Oh I do, I practice every day:-

Ignore lo-lo, engage Lo-split with left hand and 1st with right, once mobile move left lever across to Direct, gain speed then move it up to Hi-split.
Now using both hands move the left stick back to Lo-split and the right stick up to 2nd (don’t forget to drop the revs in the compound and build them for the main), then as speed dictates left stick again to Direct and then Hi-split.
Using one hand now (a good non arthritic spread is good here) move both levers back to L-split and 3rd.
Continue as required up to 5 Hi if you want more speed on a decent road and your B61 should be rolling along at 100 km/hr at 2100 revs.

Only problem is with daily practice, my Peugeot Partner only has one box, and that is automatic (old left knee and right shoulder dictated that), and not only that, it doesnt even have one lever, just a clever little dial selector on the dash. :unamused: :laughing: