Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Thanks for your reply. I hesitated to post for a while, bearing in mind the other thread.

I’ve seen a few of your trucks on our journeys back and forth to the daughter’s at Bicester. Always a joy!

My memories of the South coast are from subbing for Pritchett Bros (The On Time Freightline) in the early seventies. If I delivered in Glasgow I would try and find a phone that worked, then stand with the door open so that the smell of p*** didn’t choke me and call Silver Roadways - or as they said it ‘Sulver Roodweeees’. They would inevitably load me with sleeping bags for 15 drops along the South coast. Somehow it was always Summer! Then Ryvita from Poole or Sweetheart Plastics from Gosport back North. Happy Days!

Barrow isn’t too far from Sedbergh and the Yorkshire Dales. I keep my wife up to date with ‘The Archers’ from you and Wrighty, so she knows who I’m talking about when I say ‘Hey, there’s one of Buzzer’s.’

Not to take anything away from your offspring. How they cope I can’t imagine. Like Mr. Blamire from Preston, who sold me a Triumph Spitfire in about 1972 from his used car lot, his family had run transport for many years, but hadn’t caught up with the new regulations and floundered - I suspect that many of our generation would struggle to put up with today’s ■■■■■■■■!

Anyway, pass on my best regards to the current generation from an old trucker!

John.

All the best,

John.