Any old promotor drivers around

Efes. Just been reading your last couple of little anecdotes concerning the girls who provided their services in Yugo. In the late 70’s there was a girl from Maribor by the name of Angela. Skinny girl with bad teeth. I was homeward bound north of Nis on one occasion and saw her and another girl thumbing a lift so I stopped. As soon as they clambered aboard she started on about ‘Johny’ a Promotor driver she knew. It turned out Johny was a big boy and size did matter, to her anyway. After a while I realised she was talking about John ‘Welly’ Ward who is the driver shown above on the right of John Preece’s old smashed up unit which Welly had been driving. I dropped the girls off at the National early evening and went in for a meal. The two girls followed me in and then Angela demanded I buy them a meal. I told them both to ■■■■ off and the last I saw of them was sitting at the table of an Austrian driver. Good luck to you I thought.

Another girl who worked the National was Sonja. She was a nice girl, not one of the brassy ones who often frequented the place. One evening I was in another drivers lorry mid evening having a drink when Sonja walked by. The other driver asked her if she would like a coffee which she readily accepted. Her english was good and we had all had a laugh. However, at nine o’clock sharp she informed us she had to go to work, almost like clocking on and with that she jumped out of the cab and we watched as she started knocking on doors of lorries behind us. It wasn’t long before she disappeared into one. I heard a few years later that she married a dutch driver and was living in Holland.