Agency withholding pay due to "investigation"?

Roymondo:

Harry Monk:
Is it just me, or is it incredibly petty for the DVSA to issue a prohibition notice to a vehicle which has no inherent roadworthiness fault but where the driver has made a simple mistake which would have been rectified in a hundredth of the time it took to write out the prohibition notice?

Totally agree, Harry. During my time in uniform I would simply have stopped the vehicle and pointed out the problem. Assuming he didn’t fail the attitude test, he would have been happily on his way 2 minutes later. It wouldn’t even merit any sort of “lecture” (unless of course he failed the aforementioned attitude test).

Really. A driver drives down the road, having ‘forgotten’ to raise the tail lift, obscuring the tail lights (stop and indicators…) , and you consider that a minor issue? Not worthy of at the very least a bollocking? How is any traffic behind to know where or what he’s doing? Cover your lights with tape and see how far that gets you when your stopped.

From how it’s presented, I take it that this is a hinged tail lift that raises and lowers in runners along the rear of the body. The type that must be raised to be locked into the vertical position, otherwise it can hinge down whilst underway. Leaving you with a 5’ by 6’ scythe at about knee height, behind your wagon…

But you all think that DVSOSA was being “petty”?

I think the O.P. was lucky not be looking at a driving without due care charge.