Yorkshire Water Tankers And The 1995 Drought

moomooland:
Steve the Foden is parked next to the B6114 Saddleworth Road above Scammonden, the bridge is just to the left of the photographer,
The road it is parked on was originally built as a temporary diversion while the bridge was built after they carved out the cutting.
I remember it was a very steep hill down to the bottom then across the foundations of the M62 and then up another side up another steep hill.
You can still see the diversion road on the West bound side today as it is a footpath down to the dam.
In this picture taken in 1971 you can still see the remains of the road diversion you had to take while the bridge was being constructed.
This picture was taken while they were building Scammonden bridge, which when finished, linked up to the road in the distance.
The Foden was parked in front of where the hoarding stood.

Thanks Paul :smiley: I always find it very interesting when somebody like yourself shows us an old photograph and then somebody else can actually pin point the place where the photo was taken. I sometimes have to look on Google Earth to see how the road and the area has changed over the years. :cry:
I don’t know if it’s of any interest to anybody but I thought that I would share this little anecdote with you.
As you know there are dozens of those reservoirs along the Lancashire/ Yorkshire boundary most of which can’t be seen from the road and if you look over the area on Google Earth you will find that some of them are very close to some of the old pack horse routes.
Anyway, about the time of the Yorkshire water crisis my brother had to deliver a mini excavator to one of the reservoirs somewhere between Oldham and Huddersfield. He started talking to a guy who was working for Yorkshire Water who told him that when some of the dams were built The Navvies put in some cobbled channels to direct the run off from the top of the moor towards the dams. A couple of times a year they would send a group of men with shovels to clean out the channels but in the eighties when lots of companies were closing down or doing cut backs somebody decided that the upkeep of these channels were not high on the priority list so a lot of the channels fell into disrepair.
It didn’t take a decade for some of them to disappear completely and that was why they needed the mini excavator to see if they could retrieve some of them.
As they used to say in Yorkshire “every little bit helps”. :wink:

Regards Steve.