Drivers from the late 50s

Not a driver but van boy for Tesco Stores when they only had the Cheshunt distribution dept.

Was there about 3 years and some of the drivers would let you drive, one day my driver Bert Levitt was on holiday and the Leyland was taken out by Harry Seymore and we went up to Leicester, when we got to the M1 Harry said does Bert let you drive? no said I, do you want to have a go? YES PLEASE, so off I go, king of the road, with the longest trailer we had, it was 40’ long, think it was the first 40’ made by Durally in Southall. Anyway half way down the M1 Harry has nodded off so I keeps going, gets to the first roundabout on the A414 thinking break gently and let him sleap, bugger me he wakes up and take over, oh well all good fun.

Other story, am 16 working on a building site in Goffs Oak driving an ex army Bedford on site, site manager said to me can you drive to Finchley and collect a load of bricks, I will send a couple of blokes to load you, course I can said I, off we goes down to Finchley finds this yard loads up and drives back, never said a word that I only had a motorbike licence, what it was like to be young!!!

Oldest motor I ever drove was a 1934 Albion box van that Tesco had for dock collections.

N.