Wigan Transport Companies

From a payload, or tyre wear perspective, I would imagine those four-in-line trailers were no doubt a brilliant innovation, and I’m prepared to admit that they were fine with a headboard height load. I’ve dragged quite a few of them around over the years. Back in the 70s, Heaton’s Transport from St Helens had a shedload of them. They were used mainly to shuttle double deck loads of glass bottles from Rockware Glass at St. Helens up to Garston Bottle. One wagon was expected to do six loads on a night shift, ( the loads had been pre-sheeted incidentally, they just required roping ), and on an adverse camber with a double deck load, the ■■■■ things were an absolute bloody nightmare. They had one or two go over I seem to recall, ( none of them piloted by myself incidentally ). It was around about a 30 minute run or thereabouts from Merton Bank road up to Garston, but by the time you arrived at Window lane, your sphincter was in ■■■■■■■ meltdown, believe me…Oh!, and another thing, don’t get a flat on one of the inside tyres, what a ■■■■■■■ ball ache that can be ,…I do not lie…4 in line trailers RIP, thank ■■■■, that’s all I can say.