M1 minibus crash, first day in court

Captain Caveman 76:

pierrot 14:
[

Cavey , you make a very good point there. Take out the middle man ie the mini bus driver, I have to ask did he actually contribute to the accident? IMHO no, I think as you say wrong place wrong time. The Polish driver was stopped in L1 , the FedEx driver, if as said, he wasn’t concentrating, he would have still run up the back of the other wagon, but sadly there was another vehicle in his path. And maybe that may have saved his own life, but he will surely have that thought on his mind for the rest of his life :cry: :cry:

I see your point, it was a poor choice of words on my part. The collision would have taken place with or without the minibus being there. If I was to continue this train of thought, it would sound like I was placing blame for the loss of life where (I personally think) it ought not lie. I don’t want to do that.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned though. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that section isn’t smart motorway yet. But there should still be some matrix signs on the approach. Were they lit and warning of the obstruction? If not, why not? Ten minutes is a long time for nobody to ring that through. Was there a failing in the system that’s supposed to protect drivers in these types of instances?

I’m sure that will come out in the court proceedings. But the blame must not be put on the shoulders of some button pusher