Suttons Tankers Dispute

Janos:

albion:
Janis, we don’t advertise. I still feel we get good drivers by recommendation. Occasionally it goes wrong, but less than when we advertised.

robroy:
These ‘Top jobs’ that everyone mentions,…
Lads who I have spoken to over the years with maybe not ‘Top jobs’ but let’s say the better end of the market jobs with better pay, pay structures, and general conditions, (and I may be generalising here because no doubt there will be exceptions) as if by magic all seem to be firms where the drivers are in a Union collectively, and where the Unions negotiate rather than try and dictate…as it should be.

So all the bandwagon riders and jumpers, who bad mouth them should maybe consider that fact for a minute.
I personally work for a firm where there is a vast potential to change policies, terms and attitudes towards drivers, but I know it will never happen because there is no union with either a small ‘u’ or Trade Union presence, so the [zb] goes on, which is a pity.

I think there is maybe one of ours in a Union, so its fair to say unions don’t bother my pretty little head . I think we are at the better end of the job market, will never be at the top end as a small firm we simply don’t have the clout.

If the lads want to join a union, they are welcome to. But it wouldn’t change their terms and conditions, mostly because as you can imagine, if I can be awkward with a customer, what would I be like with an outsider telling me what to do. And what could they do, nothing. Well they could go on strike, but then I’d probably go on strike the day they got back. I suspect there’d be little sympathy with the wage dept not working. :wink:

So petty, and so much hot air, with too much ego. Tell me how you would fare if the unions made a comeback and you had to take drivers off the union register?
Do you remember that? Probably not, as I am guessing you came into this industry through family patronage. The union would have a list of unemployed drivers and you would supposedly get the next name on the list. You can only imagine how this was abused, and your firm would be referred to as a twopence ha’penny firm. (refer to page 1).
I am an o/driver because of the union, and have made what I have on merit. People like you would buckle under the first bit of intimidation.

^This guys got some real issues with other people doing well,I’d say he’s been under pricing people for years on O/d and it has got him no where, hense the hard line stance against these Sutton lads .
just remember jealousy and hatred of success will implode on you as will anger and hostility .
If I see people in a better roll than me it gives me the will to work towards bettering MY life .I hope these lads get a better deal .