Holiday pay

dozy:
Don’t think it does , I get 20 weeks at average pay and 14 days at basic ,I queried it a while ago as in one hol week I had 3 days at average pay and 2 at basic pay

IIRC, the anomaly arises that the minimum holiday under EU law is 20 days based on an all-in average figure.

The Blair government went further than the EU minimum and provided for another 8 days, effectively to cover bank holidays, but these holidays are (and originally, all 28 days were) based on the more miserly British law interpretation of “normal pay” - which in practice means basic pay according to the minimum guaranteed number of hours that the employer has to provide.

The uncertainty about how these two legal regimes interact, the possibility that the incoherent British regime may collapse further (having already been declared incompatible with the EU regime, hence why the 20 days are now calculated on an all-in average) if any legal pressure is put upon it, and the fiendishness of the accounting involved in trying to apply both regimes in parallel, means that most companies just opt to provide all 28 days holidays according to the more simple (and more generous) EU legal regime.