Wigan Transport Companies

image.jpgAlthough Trevor Sutcliffe never became involved in general haulage per se, the company probably qualifies for inclusion in this thread due to its having been based exclusively in Wigan.

Originally located in Stopford St. at Ince, by 1982 or thereabouts, the firm had outgrown its old premises and the decision was made to relocate, the engine repair side moving down to Douglas Garage near ’ The Saddle ’ junction, while the fork lift side of the company moved into a brand new building on the Wheatlea industrial estate at Goose Green, a half mile or so from J25 of the M6 motorway.

When the company went belly up, the premises became the base for Hurst’s coaches, then when they hit the buffers, Mc Mullan moved into the place.

Incidentally Ray, since his name hasn’t been mentioned yet, let’s not forget the guy that bought Robert Baillie’s yard, Roy Whittaker. Although Roy sadly no longer moves among us, the company is still operating as far as I’m aware, but now based in Earlestown I believe. I don’t have any photos of his motors unfortunately.

Regards. Eddie.