Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Evening all,

Pete, ROF, all our thanks are due to Fergie, and Michel, whose joint photographic collection is really remarkable, plus all the other contributors who chip in with quite remarkable pictures. I feel an absolute idiot that I do not contribute in the photographic field…its hard enough mastering a keyboard I can tell you. But these pictures really get my little grey cells going, its a bit like starting a film show, the memories, both of vehicles, and operators really flood back. I hope that I do not bore you with the bits I write about.

Pete, Willeme from Nanterre Seine, founded by Louis Willeme after WW1 reconditioning Liberty lorries, created a market amongst the small and medium sized hauliers in France by providing quality, reliable lorries at an affordable price. All powered by Deutz licenced 4,6, and straight 8 engines, sharing identical bore and stroke measurements.

They even turbocharged the T6 6 cylinders in the late 60s to 240 hp, an absolute disaster, (as were the efforts of Frances largest manufacturer Berliet). It could have been that oil technology could not advance enough, but the results were diabolical. Willemes sons sought a partner, who could give them big power, (All French manufacturers were looking for 200 hp for 35 tonnes gtw in 1960), so turned to AEC, and the result was the .690, and later .760 powered ranges. Also the Willeme range was deepened by an alliance with BMHs BMC ranges, (quite succesfully as well). But Willeme`s production totally hand built, ran at about 400 plus per year, a low volume, (and similar to Arcuil built Bernard with their Gardner licence built engines).

Then in the UK came the Leyland AEC takeover/merger. Leyland had lined up with Hotchkiss in France, so Willeme was out! Willeme struggled, then rolled over. Its heavy hitter range the TGs licence was obtained by Paris based Perez et Raimond the GM Detroit Diesel, Allison importer, (whose engines had powered the TGs in the main, (although there were ■■■■■■■ KTA and Mercedes V10 Versions as well) 150/1000tonnes gtw. 6X4, &8x4, 8x8 versions.

All sitting under a Cottard, from Bourg en Bresse Horizon cab, and later a similar version built by Royanne, Rennes based Georges Pelpel, (but the latter tilted). Beautiful driving enviroment, the wheel sat low in your lap, and the gear lever was an easy reach to your right hand. The cab, although basic trim by contemporary standards was a quiet work place, (given that the standard 35 tonne power plant gave a heady 190 hp)!, so a bit of right foot was needed!

The tractors had a very tight turning circle, and rode smoothly due to their long leaf springs…and the heating and ventilation was good…(outstanding for the 60s)! Lovely lorries, my dealers were still taking them in part exchange back in the 70s, and cab happy me, was always getting them down the road! But the ones that Daniel Wauthier from Carvin ran, in bright purple, with a screaming, stonking V8 ■■■■■ of delight were something else…could awaken the cowboy in a funeral director!!!

Now that worn out, tired Renaudin example that Pete shows, (the big fifth wheel with its 3.5 in pin should give you a clue)…under that Cottard cab lies the bulk of an 18 litre KTA @450 hp…a lot for 61......and as that was a retro fit a section of the cab was added by the converters. On the TGs the cab , (the Pelpel version), was mounted far higher........and what a superb "heavy hitter" they were. Inspired Mercedes to create their 8x8s.........and a dream to drive, with their Clark auto boxes, quick steering, tremendous manoueverability, and stable ride...........but for sheer "woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee", you should have driven Transports Mayers Detroit powered examples from their Nancy yard…13 speed fullers, 200 tonnes…could you move your wrist as fast as she wants to go?..There has never ever been a better “real” drivers lorry!

Anorak, the WR8, now there is a long story, M Michelin lies at its core, and the weird creations to test her tyres. Straight 8, a roof from a Citroen DS, quick steering, 200kph potential…fully weighted at 19 tonnes back in the 50s! But then came the 10 wheeler Twin V8 Chrysler powered creations based on the glamerous Citroen SM, with their 250kph potential…and later the 10 wheeled XM Citroen versions…M Michelin could really design "hooligan " lorries!!!

Another story for another night

Cheerio for now.