Davis bros, felling

bigal20:
hi ben,billy green was the manager when i was there, the conditions were terrible, one old nackered salamander heater for heating the workshop,no doors on the workshop, but the pay was good for fitters, there were two of us there,but what a difference when i left there and went to cawthorn and sinclair(birtley),central heated workshops,20 to 30 fitters, better wages,12hour dayshift then 12 hour nightshift, i saw mr hubby once at davis, and he left his son roger to run the place, he was not there very long, we had a few thames traders(albert e ewer) charles poulter, and c bristow written on the doors, then we had some mercedes, i think they were larrow transport. al.

Hi bigal20, Larrow Transport rings a bell, They had a depot at BirtleyIIRC, And an office on the Quayside in Newcastle, I cant remember the Traffic Managers name but he had a real heavey tash, Big enough to stop a train, I recall a couple of drivers, Big Jimmy Mitchell who worked laterley for JR Adams and retired from there, The Late Charlie ■■? who died in a freak accident in a snow drift on the A 1 M At the Darlington Exit, Very sad I may say, The loss of another good lad, Regards Larry.