Having to put your Dog to sleep

LASHHGV:
Thanks for your messages still got 3 more dogs at home they really are like my children. 5 years ago me and my wife volunteered at a local animal shelter. We found they had a dog called Heidi who was in a bad way and couldn’t even walk more than a few yards at a time. This would probably make it very hard to find a home to take her. We decided to ‘foster’ her to get back into a healthy condition to get a forever home.
Anyway we were rubbish at fostering we told the home after day 2 that we were going to keep her. For 3 months we helped her, got her an operation for her paw and generally got her back on her feet.
But after 3 months one day she just gave in and had massive organ failure she died at the vets that night. Even after 3 months we were heartbroken and we have her ashes in our living room.
A couple of days later my wife found Mia at the home again in a bit of a state and took her home, rang me at work and told me we had another dog. Again we sorted this one out and she has gave us 5 years of happiness. Although we never knew her previous life we think she was about 10-11 years old when she passed which was a decent age for a Shar-Pei.

Sounds a bit familiar,

My missus used to be a volunteer at a RSPCA greyhound rescue center,
found a soft spot for a couple of hopeless cases,
One of those above - Bess, had a very sad past - been abused by the travelling folk
The other, Winnie, was found in a bad way on the A120, had obviously been used for coursing, had plenty of battle scars.