Left-Hand Drive E-series ERFs

I have just stumbled on an important discovery about ERF’s re-entry into the European export market in the early ‘90s. In 1992 Pat Kennett conducted a Euro Test Special around the Ardennes route with a European spec E-series which met France’s type-approval rules. But this test vehicle had RHD instead of LHD! However, the machine acquitted itself remarkably well. The new European E-series was to be offered as either an E12.400 (Perkins TX) or an E14.410 (■■■■■■■■■ connected to either an Eaton Twin-splitter or the semi-automated version, SAMT. They were the choices.

At the end of the Euro Test, Pat Kennett reports that:

For the initial markets of France, Spain and Portugal, a working network of distributors is in the process of being established, with long-term targets of 18 in France and 12 in Spain. In addition ERF’s ‘European Freeway’ system has the support of nearly 1000 independent workshops in 16 countries.

We are then reminded that the E12 version costs only two-thirds of the cost of a DAF 95 and that: Even allowing for good distributor margins and service cost provisions, ERF can expect good commercial figures without being accused of ‘dumping’.

I will scan and post the whole piece as soon as I can. Robert