TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

MorganIreland:

Riverstick:

MorganIreland:
I remember Tom fitzsimons rip forgetting to put his truck onto the paddy in rosslare after we had a good few pints in the hotel one Sunday morning, we walked down to the harbor to meet the crew in the bar there, and after few more beers we calmly walked on to the boat, poor Tom , we shared a room, and after the disco and more pints he said I better go down to get me bag out of the truck, it was then he realized what he did!, he was with transcontinental at the time,.

Yes…Heard of that happening years ago…Imagine the feeling…A few hours into a 22 hour sailing on a Sunday evening discovering this sobering mistake…having to stay on the boat until LeHavre…And then sailing back to Rosslare…To sail back out again…He should have made LeHavre by Wednesday night at that rate…after starting his journey on Saturday…

Hi , What happened was we arrived in la harve on Monday but at the time the ship only sailed back to irl on Tuesday !! They had to get someone to drive his truck out through England, Tom arrived back in rosslare on the wed,after enjoying 4 days hard drinking only to head back out straight away to Italy in another truck and back out on the paddy again, the whole crew knew the story by this time, imagine 5 days back and forward on the Paddy, ! only heard he died from a heart attack at his own front door after coming home from the pub in clondalkin recently, sad. Another funny story I still Remember is when Bert Healy took the wrong trailer from the yard and off we headed to Marseilles with what was supposed to be 2 loads of adult nappies for CMF, BUT WHEN HE OPENED THE DOORS IN MARSEILLES HIS TRAILER WAS EMPTY, still remember the look on his face !!, , all the way down the road he kept rubbing it in, saying his yellow transcontinental was pulling like a train ! No wonder !

Hi,
These Irish stories are great,I could read them all night :sunglasses:
Regards andrew.