Lovell's Wharf

Kenb:

ardennes:

Cockney Pete3:

adr:
High Cockney Pete 3,
Only picture I have of Lovell’s Wharf, hope of some use!
Rega Chris

Great pic Chris thankyou, looks like the early 80s judging by the Volvo, and the shed in the background was demolished in 86 to make some space to set down long iron, girders, ree bar etc. The offices where built in the 20s, first floor was the transport office, drivers would report there for there loads, upstairs was the shipping rooms, Shaw Lovell where frieght forwarders, shipping agents, charterers amongst other things and at one time had an office in nearly every port in England. The tilt was probably loading out of the rear of the yard where the Seawheel part of the firm operated until that was sold off.

seawheel had a portacabin on preston docks in the early 60s, used to do some work for them when working for ken ditchfield. There containers where all dropped on the quayside ex ship and it cost them a fair bit for a relift.No twistlocks then ,bits of wood to clear the chock and rope through the corner holes, horrendous when you think about it.
cheers

Seawheel had an office on Preston docks for many years running a service to Dublin using the ASN service
I moved from Liverpool office to Preston in 1968 Peter Francis was the manager - then John Scott from Felixstowe office and then I took over - the operation was closed after the 12 week dock strike that was the end of Preston Docks which at one point was the busiest container port in Europe - remember Ditchfields, Pickles from Chorley, Southworths from Rufford, we used to use Silver Roadways for the huge amount of cables drums coming from Eire for the overhead electrification - interesting times

Ah, Pickles of Chorley worked for them round that time, 24hr service, if you know what I mean. :unamused: