Correct break times

Its probably been asked before but could someone please clear this up for me ?
I work for a Document destruction company where I visit upto 20 sites in a day (all within a certain postcode), I start at 5.30am and have a 45 minute break at 11.30am, or a 15 minute break at 10am followed by a 30 minute break at 11.45am.
A lad at work is now saying that because we do multistop and are not continuously driving we can delay our break till 2.30pm (He starts at 7am) (where he got this time from I dont know) and now a few of the other drivers have started to follow suit.
Am I right in doing things the way I do them or is there room for change ■■

I forgot to add we work 10 hours a day 4 days a week…

Thanks in advance.

Ignore him.

I can’t say what time you should have your driving breaks because I don’t know when you reach 4.5 hours driving time.

However, regardless of the fact that you’re on multi-stop deliveries you should have a break of at-least 15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours working time (WTD 6 hour rule).

As far as driving time is concerned, according to the EU commission enforcement officers can show discretion and allow up-to 15 minutes extra driving time per 4.5 hours driving block for multi-stop delivery drivers.

Notice that the phrase is “may exercise discretion” not “must exercise discretion” :wink:

What you’re doing is fine what your colleague is doing is not so fine, so as the previous poster said “ignore him” :slight_smile:

edit: It could be interesting to ask your colleague where he got his information from, my guess would be a mate of a mates mate :unamused:

Boingboing71:
Its probably been asked before but could someone please clear this up for me ?
I work for a Document destruction company where I visit upto 20 sites in a day (all within a certain postcode), I start at 5.30am and have a 45 minute break at 11.30am, or a 15 minute break at 10am followed by a 30 minute break at 11.45am.
A lad at work is now saying that because we do multistop and are not continuously driving we can delay our break till 2.30pm (He starts at 7am) (where he got this time from I dont know) and now a few of the other drivers have started to follow suit.
Am I right in doing things the way I do them or is there room for change ■■

I forgot to add we work 10 hours a day 4 days a week…

Thanks in advance.

He’s right, in so far as you do not need to have your full break by 11:30 if you have split your breaks.

But to pick an arbitrary time 7.5 hours after start time is wrong.

EXAMPLE

Start 0600
Mix of driving and other work 6hrs
Break 15mins
1215 Mix of driving and other work 6hrs
Break 30mins
1815 Mix of driving and other work 2hr15mins
Finish 2100

Is perfectly legal as long as you don’t exceed 4.5hrs driving before 1815…

But there is nothing wrong with the way you are doing it now.

Thanks guys :smiley:

How much driving time are you recording in an average shift :question: