Having a bit of a confidence issue

Passed my Class 2 beginning October and got taken on immediately by a food company doing multi drop to schools, care homes and businesses. The work is very physical which I initially struggled with as an averagely unfit 55 yr old although it’s improved.
Had a couple of weeks with other drivers, then out in a 7.5T for a week on my own. Driving was easy but all picking orders off mixed pallets. Just getting the hang of that, but this week i was in a 14 ton on routes I’d never done before in London. Have to be honest the thought of doing this in an 18ton is keeping me awake. The combination of physical deliveries, time pressure and fairly regular scary reverses off main roads etc…
I am not a quitter but my confidence is very low. As this is my only driving job so far, are there less stressful multi-drop jobs? Should I maybe admit defeat on this job for a bit of peace of mind? From what I hear this is as intense a job as it gets but I’ve not done anything to compare it with.

Without a doubt, it’s not the easiest work. My suggestion is that you stick with it. And imagine the confidence boost when you realise it’s all ok.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Without a doubt, it’s not the easiest work. My suggestion is that you stick with it. And imagine the confidence boost when you realise it’s all ok.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete, I’ll definitely give it a couple more weeks at least. Who knows they might make the decision for me if I don’t speed up! Out of interest though what other types of work might be more driving and less intensive delivery? Is pallet stuff easier generally?

Most jobs have got a degree of physical work, pressure etc etc. Contrary to general belief, I found tipper driving very easy and unpressured. Yes, you are expected to crack on - but surely this is what you expect to do ie day’s work for a day’s pay.

Pallets are fine - but often very pressured and varies a great deal. Delivering/collecting on industrial estates - dead easy. The same thing on a housing estate can be very trying!

Everyone has their own niche. Keep trying different things and you’ll find yours eventually.

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

From what you say, I’d stick with it but would be looking for something a bit less pressurized and physically less demanding. Multi Drop, either Hand Balling, Pallets or Cages can be a nightmare as you can feel as if it is a race against the clock and that’s never a good thing when driving.

I was on a Agency placement Class 2 18 Tonne delivering Insulation products to Builders Merchants, Building Sites etc and upon arrival just drew the curtain and a Forklift took the goods off. Nice and easy, none off this rushed off your feet exertion stuff :unamused:

have not driven a lorry before let alone making a living out of it so can’t judge how hard or easy your job might be, but I am going for my theory exam next week Monday and very excited about the whole thing and can’t wait to start driving but at the same time I am worried that I might not find a job due to lack of experience , sounds like you didn’t have that problem which is an achievement already and congratulation both on passing your exam and securing a job so quickly .

GCatC:
Out of interest though what other types of work might be more driving and less intensive delivery? Is pallet stuff easier generally?

I always hated pallet work. If you get the chance (I’m thinking you’re on agency work?) jump at any opportunity to try bin wagons/kerbside recycling. More driving, less handballing, great for increasing your confidence, you’ll have one or two loaders who double as banksmen and after a few months of that kind of work you’ll lose all fear of getting an LGV into small spaces. It is intense in terms of concentration though, up and down residential streets all day with tons of (badly or inconsiderately) parked cars.

Nick911:
have not driven a lorry before let alone making a living out of it so can’t judge how hard or easy your job might be, but I am going for my theory exam next week Monday and very excited about the whole thing and can’t wait to start driving but at the same time I am worried that I might not find a job due to lack of experience , sounds like you didn’t have that problem which is an achievement already and congratulation both on passing your exam and securing a job so quickly .

Thanks Nick. If it helps I passed my test and emailed three local companies. I got responses back from two almost immediately and was invited in for an assessment. I was offered the job on the day. So agency is probably good if you want to get a feel for different types of driving, but if you are keen on a particular type of work I would recommend Just contacting companies direct or even ringing the transport manager. It seems like a lot of logistics companies are always looking for good people.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with me .