Rear steer learning

Juddian:

hiabman:
They’re much the same as any other artic trailer as far as I’m concerned.
My trailer locks in upon selecting reverse gear (so long as the units wheels are straight and in line) enabling me to back up with all trailer wheels locked into the fixed, straight position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That must have taken a bit of getting used to, where the trailer pivot point reversing is different to going forward, does it take a bit of thinking about reversing into tight places if you need a shunt or two?

The passive steer ones (that this is) as hiabman says locks when you select reverse but they will not lock unless you are actually straight, so yes if shunting about a bit you do need to plan that into the manouver.

However if it’s a tight area that you will be manouvering in then you’d lock the steer axle off manually before entering the yard via an air valve button (just like a shunt or park brake button) and then manually unlock it again when you wanted the passive steer back.

I always remember my gaffer at the time going round the yard on a Sat morning checking that the passive steer was active and not locked on all the trailers, and duly dishing out bollockings if they were locked, apparently they saved a substantial amount on tyre scrub wear