To be or not To be...LGV driver...that is the question

Hi guys
I’m struggling with this question…should I go and get trained for a class 2 or stay clear. There is so much opinions and peoples negative experiences and it confuses me to make a decision.
I’m being made redundant from a addiction recovery service which involves a lot of mental and emotional strain on top of the paperwork, I feel I need a break from this area as I’ve been involved in this service for many many years in different capacity’s from a client to Therapist. On top of this I have come to end my marriage, so the only commitment I have is to my little toddlers. I feel this could be a clean break doing something completely different- I just can’t around emotionally draining service. I just want to work and go home.
But I am in a conflict with the pros and cons so I’m asking you guys who have experience to point me to a right direction or share your honest experience. It will really be a life saver, as the last thing i want to do is pay£2000 for my license and regret it…
So I am going to share my pros and cons list here please give your feedback…

Pros: Good money with overtime- £500+ for 48hrs
Left to self to do job-no micromanagement
Demand for drivers
Potential to be owner operator

Cons: Isolation
Unsociable hours
Overnights
Big investment of £1700 license for a job that may only pay you £10 ph in the beginning.

I’m doing my research on jobs out there, I see wages start at £9.50ph and go to £13ph after experience, the real money comes in at overtime and nights out. So after a graft of 60hrs and away from home isolated you are paid £600-£700 compared to an Uber driver in Manchester who could earn a little less ( £500) without nights out and isolation but more independence and flexibility. Some drivers have very negative experiences like spending lots of money to end up on low wages hard graft and treated like ■■■■…Is it really True!!
So any feedback will be appreciated.

Depends on if you have any interest in being a lorry driver, or you just see it as a escape route because it pays better than your previous wages? doing 60hr weeks and night outs may not be practicial if you are the only one responsible for looking after your toddlers.

BashK:
Demand for drivers

There may be a demand for experienced drivers in a few parts of the UK but thats about it

EU regs, you can only work 56hours per week or 90 hours per fortnight.

gov.uk/drivers-hours/eu-rules

ram_1979:

That’s driving time not working time, 90hrs max driving in 2 weeks, 56hrs max driving in 1 week(34hrs 2nd week).

wolves:

ram_1979:

That’s driving time not working time, 90hrs max driving in 2 weeks, 56hrs max driving in 1 week(34hrs 2nd week).

Feel like a dunce for asking but what’s the difference, surely same thing?

Driving time has a restriction - strictly enforced by DVSA
Total working time which is driving time + other work time (such as loading etc) has a separate restriction - not enforced by any authority but many companies give infringements for it

Ofc, makes sense, so OT can consist of extra duties such as loading?

ram_1979:

Also poa and break.

I did 65 hours last week and booked about 30 hours of break including waiting time

I think it’s a job where it appeals anyway is the key. If you are doing it for any other reason than you really fancy driving a truck, forget it.

Downsides, as a new pass you are likely (some people get lucky), to spend 6 months doing the job no one else wants to get the experience. Driver shortage is very debateable. Owner driver is generally not the path to riches.

Upsides depend on who you end up with. There is so much variety in haulage. Do you want a 4on, 4 off shift pattern. Night trunking. Containers. Euro work. What suits one, might not suit another. When you do start to compare money, you need to ask about paying for parking, do they pay through breaks. The hourly rate can vary a lot, and the structure can make a huge difference.

kcrussell25:

ram_1979:

Also poa and break.

I did 65 hours last week and booked about 30 hours of break including waiting time

And what you get paid for and what you work can be completely different things. Doesn’t happen often, but one of ours was paid for a 123 hours once, included being on a ferry, paid for staying with the vehicle when there was no secure parking, just fell right for him moneywise. He did about 30 hours of driving.

Like most others have said, for what reasons are you changing. I’m currently a chef, been in catering in some form all my life. Now ive had enough. The pressures are high, stress is high, I’m working flat out all day most days and the rewards are few.

So now ive taken the plunge to try something I’ve always been interested in. I love driving and an articulated lorry has been my goal for some time. I saved up the money I needed for the goal I had in mind. To get the class 1 licence. As everyone knows, you need your class 2 first so its felt like it’s been a long slog to get this far. Finally after £3000 and loads of hours of studying and practical driving, (well actually I only did 2 days for each of the classes :smiley: ) I have my class one licence. Im in the process of finding a job that suits me, with 2 assessment drives to go, 1 already done and passed which I have an interview for next week. Things are looking good. I love driving the artics so I don’t think I’ll be disappointed. Will I be happy in a new career? Who knows, I hope so. But you aren’t ever going to know until you make the decision, take the plunge and go for it. 1 2 or £3000 isn’t a lot compared to the rest of your working life in misery.

If its just to escape your current situation, then no would be the answer. If you want to escape your current situation, into something else you enjoy doing, the the answer would be yes. Do it!

wolves:
Depends on if you have any interest in being a lorry driver, or you just see it as a escape route because it pays better than your previous wages? doing 60hr weeks and night outs may not be practicial if you are the only one responsible for looking after your toddlers.

I do have this sense of excitement of being a truck driver, in the wagon king of the road, left to myself, just driving A to B to C to D and back to A then home. I could easily get another job in the same field for more pay, currently i’m on £1550 pretax doing a 40hrs 9-5pm. Other roles in this business will pay me £1800 pretax for 40hrs but at this moment I really can’t be bothered with people, politics and sitting in meetings chatting ****. Maybe this is due coming to the end of a bitter marriage with 2 kids. I see the kids more a less whenever I want , we are in fact amicable for the kids arrangements.

It does feel like an escape but an escape doing something completely different- that feels exciting. I like driving and listening to audibles and music. Is the excitement short term? Will i be disappointed after 6 or 12 months? Is it worth investing £2-3k. Will it be worth the experience?

After gaining 1 or 2 years experience I could go on do something else but always know that I’ve got a back up skill that is always in demand to go fall back on.

Thanks for your replies guys…you are really helping.

Keep them coming

whats 2 years out oof your life to have a class 1 profession to fall back on whilst earning realistically 450-550 per week for doing so.
the excitement may be short lived and the job ■■■■■ compared to what it used to be,but your a rebel without a clue so you will just take all the crap onboard and not know any different.
if you like the idea of driving,then pick a work scenario that suits you once your doing the job.
theres countless jobs available,just work out what you want to work and act accordingly.
start with agencies and wreck anything and everything then once you know whats what get yourself a proper job.
the world is your lobster my man,just go for it if your gut feeling fancies it and never mind anyones opinion except for your own.

dieseldog999:
whats 2 years out oof your life to have a class 1 profession to fall back on whilst earning realistically 450-550 per week for doing so.
the excitement may be short lived and the job ■■■■■ compared to what it used to be,but your a rebel without a clue so you will just take all the crap onboard and not know any different.
if you like the idea of driving,then pick a work scenario that suits you once your doing the job.
theres countless jobs available,just work out what you want to work and act accordingly.
start with agencies and wreck anything and everything then once you know whats what get yourself a proper job.
the world is your lobster my man,just go for it if your gut feeling fancies it and never mind anyones opinion except for your own.

Top man :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Personally I wouldn’t count isolation as a negative, I quite enjoy my own company.

Just think about all the times someone at work got on your nerves, won’t happen much now :smiley:

Matt87:
Just think about all the times someone at work got on your nerves, won’t happen much now :smiley:

Other than the odd idiotic jobsworth gate keeper ,The odd road rage car driver ,The odd truck driver who thinks he is first in every queue ,The waffling whining ndc waiting area cling on,The list goes on and on ,But yeah beats stood next to a track rat moaner all day .

Pick any job and you’ll find some that love it and some that hate it. Plenty of truckers love their job and plenty don’t. All you can do is give it a try and see if it suits you.

One year in and I’ve no regrets.

I’ve actually found my favourite job is working on the dustcarts which I’d never have anticipated. I’ve got company most days (doubles as a banksman), never have to handball anything and find they’re easy to drive.

I do have to start at 3am but it doesn’t bother me as I just get a few hours sleep in the afternoon and then get up and have a normal evening - can go to bed at 10-11 pm as only need a few more hours after my nap.