Going home during shift

I’m a day driver that’s ended up doing a night out. I’m without any night gear at all. I have to run in tomorrow with my trailer but then have a full days worth of work to do.

I need to go home to restock my daily food and drink supplies, perhaps have a shower but most importantly for medication that I will have missed.

My question is: how does this work with the tacho and my rest/breaks? I know you’re not supposed to take the card out until you finish so should I head home and leave the card in the truck? I’m also concerned how this will effect my shift length as I can see it easily becoming another ‘unplanned’ night out tomorrow night as well.

Should you not put card on rest, take card out then carry out manual entries on return?

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Assuming you mean you’re leaving the lorry at work and going home in your car or whatever, you can leave the card on rest as long as no-one can move the vehicle.

If there’s any chance the vehicle will be moved take the card out and do a manual entry for rest when you re-insert the card.

You are allowed to remove the card with permission from an authorized person, the problem is no-one knows who counts as an authorized person :smiley:

Sent from my mobile.

I hereby authorise you to remove your card. [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I bet I know someone who’s just found out it’s a good idea to always be prepared for a night out - no matter how unlikely!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I bet I know someone who’s just found out it’s a good idea to always be prepared for a night out - no matter how unlikely!

Every driver should be prepared for a night out in this country the way traffic is increasing ect ect .

Punchy Dan:

Peter Smythe:

Every driver should be prepared for a night out in this country the way traffic is increasing ect ect .

Then every driver should be provided with a vehicle which is designed to be nighted out in.

To me that includes a fridge, a night heater and a fuel card which allows parking where the driver thinks is best. At a push a microwave or a stove should be provided as well.

sammym:

Punchy Dan:

Peter Smythe:

Then every driver should be provided with a vehicle which is designed to be nighted out in.

To me that includes a fridge, a night heater and a fuel card which allows parking where the driver thinks is best. At a push a microwave or a stove should be provided as well.

You have some very high expectations, even if you are driving a day cab, you still need medication, minimum wash gear and a change of clothes.

Wheel Nut:

sammym:

Punchy Dan:

Peter Smythe:

You have some very high expectations, even if you are driving a day cab, you still need medication, minimum wash gear and a change of clothes.

If there is a genuine expectation that a driver should stay out in sleep in the truck - then there should be facilities provided to make that safe and comfortable. Things like a night heater are basic human rights - to be warm etc. Nor would I be left with no provisions in an industrial estate - I’d demand they paid for parking where I could have a shower and get something to eat.

I do have high expectations - I value myself very highly. If companies don’t like that then they can chose to not employ me. However the opposite happens. I have them calling me directly asking me what it will take for me to work for them next week. I have them competing to have me drive their trucks. I can afford to have principles because it’s much harder for them to get a driver than it is me to get a shift.

But this doesn’t really effect me. I’d be turning around and bringing stuff back when I started thinking about running out of hours. I wouldn’t be asking permission I’d simply bring it back and tell them when handed back the keys. As I’ve said my methods seem okay as they can’t get enough of paying Sammym to drive their trucks.

I’d be coming home unless they emailed me the address of the hotel they had booked me into. Management wouldn’t be expected to sleep in their cars if they unexpectedly needed to night out.

silverman:
I’d be coming home unless they emailed me the address of the hotel they had booked me into. Management wouldn’t be expected to sleep in their cars if they unexpectedly needed to night out.

Cars don’t have beds or night heaters though .

If got day cab then book into a motel and the company has to pay

sammym:

Wheel Nut:

sammym:

Punchy Dan:

If there is a genuine expectation that a driver should stay out in sleep in the truck - then there should be facilities provided to make that safe and comfortable. Things like a night heater are basic human rights - to be warm etc. Nor would I be left with no provisions in an industrial estate - I’d demand they paid for parking where I could have a shower and get something to eat.

I do have high expectations - I value myself very highly. If companies don’t like that then they can chose to not employ me. However the opposite happens. I have them calling me directly asking me what it will take for me to work for them next week. I have them competing to have me drive their trucks. I can afford to have principles because it’s much harder for them to get a driver than it is me to get a shift.

But this doesn’t really effect me. I’d be turning around and bringing stuff back when I started thinking about running out of hours. I wouldn’t be asking permission I’d simply bring it back and tell them when handed back the keys. As I’ve said my methods seem okay as they can’t get enough of paying Sammym to drive their trucks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
jesus…looks like someones been drinking a pint of instant conor before coming out today.
if your meant to be a driver and dont take the bare essentials for a night out with you,then slap it right into you for being a wazzok where you deserve all you get if you cant get home.
if your stuck somewhere remote,then you should know beforehand and chug something in on your last break as you wont exactly die for the night.
you and conor must have the same agencies begging you to grace them for a shift. and when did a night heater become a basic human right.■■ if its cold,youve got n engine and its not your fuel…cop yourself on. :unamused:

dieseldog999:
jesus…looks like someones been drinking a pint of instant conor before coming out today.
if your meant to be a driver and dont take the bare essentials for a night out with you,then slap it right into you for being a wazzok where you deserve all you get if you cant get home.
if your stuck somewhere remote,then you should know beforehand and chug something in on your last break as you wont exactly die for the night.
you and conor must have the same agencies begging you to grace them for a shift. and when did a night heater become a basic human right.■■ if its cold,youve got n engine and its not your fuel…cop yourself on. :unamused:

I’m sorry that you don’t have the confidence and self believe to demand the best. I on the other hand wake up in the morning with the unchanging belief in myself and my worth. And I won’t compromise when it comes to that. I respect myself enough to get why I deserve or not do it. Fortunately I am not short of work. I’m average between 250-300 a shift at the moment - and I don’t have to rough it sleeping in a tin box.

Sleeping in a truck compared to your bed - is like holidaying in a caravan rather than a hotel. It’s a compromise and it’s roughing it. I’m worth more than that. I’ll do an emergency night out if my conditions are met - those would also include 8 hours money the next day to run in and then hand the keys back. But I’d need to have a fridge and a night heater, and decent paid parking. Otherwise it’s a no and I’m leaving the truck there and getting the train home.

i take it your 250-300 per day is pesetas? or does your day last for 90 hours?
you deffo have to be taking the same medication as conor or the recently vanished uktrampdrdamn brigade…total and complete fantasy trolling pish there bud…dream on

Punchy Dan:

silverman:

Cars don’t have beds or night heaters though .

Neither does my truck.

dieseldog999:
i take it your 250-300 per day is pesetas? or does your day last for 90 hours?
you deffo have to be taking the same medication as conor or the recently vanished uktrampdrdamn brigade…total and complete fantasy trolling pish there bud…dream on

Below is an invoice which was generated by the agency for one single shift. As you can see it was just over 13 hours so not quite 90.

l

save your photoshop practice,its meaningless anyway…jesus pal,make it believable.
arnt you even a new pass class 2 if i remember correctly working for royal mail or some other muppet mob at 3 times the pay of everyone else?
but feel free to play if you wish the last work somewhat similar to our dear departed pals

dieseldog999:
save your photoshop practice,its meaningless anyway…jesus pal,make it believable.
arnt you even a new pass class 2 if i remember correctly working for royal mail or some other muppet mob at 3 times the pay of everyone else?
but feel free to play if you wish the last work somewhat similar to our dear departed pals

Those are real numbers - and I have passed on details of the job to other members on here. I am guessing jbaz is also a stooge to make this all real in your mind. I even posted about the job on the newbie forum. As I think it was a good rate for a new driver.

I’m a class 1 driver and have had that licence since april. So still pretty new. I’ve had my class 2 since january. And I’m not working for Royal Mail - the place I’m working at pays better than them.

it would need to pay a lot better.
you wouldnt make that much working a 15 hour shift on xmas day,but happy days if your convinced you are.
just a pity there may be other newbies believe it and think theyre not making as much as they could… :unamused: