CO-OP Thurrock

Agency called hgvrecruitmentcentre are taking on guys for co-op and according to them you don’t need any experience as they are taking in new passes and willing to train them up. Anyone had any experience with the co-op or this agency?

adam277:
Agency called hgvrecruitmentcentre are taking on guys for co-op and according to them you don’t need any experience as they are taking in new passes and willing to train them up. Anyone had any experience with the co-op or this agency?

Training broker - not good rep

Avoid like the bloody plague! A brief google would have given you a good picture of this mob before you posted. Deleting seems like a good idea to me…

As said, they are a broker. These are the folks that will take as much cash from you as possible then place you with the cheapest trainer they can find - eventually. Brokers generally have a bad press but tbh I haven’t heard much about this one. (Which is truly amazing as apparently they train 15% of all new drivers - - remarkable!)

The bit that baffles me on their website is their pricing. They quote between £1k and £2k for a CAT C. For me, I would expect the price to be a little more precise.

If you’re thinking of booking training, go visit the trainer (brokers will cry if you ask to visit), check out the facilities and make sure you’re happy before parting with your hard-earned. The only exception to this is to book on rock solid recommendation. If in doubt, start a thread and ask for recommendations for this broker and then compare with eg me. The results should be substantially different.

Be aware that, stupidly, there is still no law to make LGV instructors appear on a register. So anyone who has held a licence for 3 years can go and acquire a dodgy old truck, stick L plates on it and call themselves a driving school. And there’s nothing you can do about it. There are two voluntary registers. One is National Vocational Driving Instructor Register (lgvinstructorregister.com/instructors). All our instructors are with NVDIR. As well as this, our centre is approved by NVDIR which subjects us to a thorough ground up audit each year including instructor qualification, cpd and results.

But, of course, you can get a bit cheaper and risk it. Your choice.

Back on topic, I am located close to Co-op at Junc 28 M1 and their drivers seem reasonably content. So maybe not a bad company to work for on a direct basis.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Phoned them up and cancelled it anyway. They are acting as an agency but if there a training broker as well I’d just avoid. Had a feeling they would of took a good chunk off my pay for the training/induction anyway.

Hi Adam I did some coop work via an agency (not a broker) and they were good to work for, give you a run route and photos of where to unload and where to avoid. Enjoyed it.

adam277:

I work out of there mate,try not going through an agency,try going directly through the co op,Im on the day shift and its by far the best job ive had and they pay decent money,are you class 1 ?

adam277:

I know there looking for back shift drivers if your willing to do that ? if you have a CV i can forward it on

I’ve been in and out the Co op for years through Agency, a good place to start, they are compliance nuts and will pretty much keep you right as far as hours and the likes go. They take new passes all over as far as I know and think they’re self insured but that’ll be different through agencies. They use a few different agencies throughout the UK. I’ve worked in 4 different depots over the years and my old man drove for them for 20 odd years. Could do worse but they are changing recently.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I will add that if you’re a new driver although 5bey teach you things there’s so much they don’t teach you. It’s a safe job, pretty clean but can get mundane. I learned more working outside the Co op safety net in a few months than I did being in and out of there for years.
I was on a fixed term contract last year with them and they offered me a full time position, they then withdrew that at the last minute and screwed me over…was a bit ■■■■■■ off but I’d go back if I needed to. They have changed over the past 20 or so years and the old timers there will tell you that.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk