Foden

Foden Alpha 6x2 mid lift 380 1999/2000.
What is the thinking from the people that know :question:
Good tight work horse :confused:
or to much trouble :confused:

:slight_smile: Sorry, Robert,
Looks like the Foden unit is not a very popular choice with any O.D.s here on TruckNet. (Or generally, I would say :slight_smile:) - most prefer the continental makes, they seem to have many more outlets for parts and servicing anyway.
Could you maybe ask the opinions of some local operators ? ( If you can locate any, - like I say, the Foden unit is a rare breed, - in all areas of the UK !) :wink:

Never listen to what some boys tell you!!!
I started O/D in Oct,got a 2001 440c Foden Alpha XL for about 10 grand cheaper than any continental make and so far “touch wood” she has been dead on ( apart from a blown airbag and a small bush going in the gearbox lever).The fodens are cheap to buy and cheap for parts with the ■■■■■■■ engine and I wouldn’t pay much more than 10 grand for a 99/00 Alpha.

Glad to hear you like the Foden BT! I reckon the ■■■■■■■ is the best bet, a bloke I drove for had hit & miss results with the Cat, the 450 model, electrics and one geezer had to have a new engine from Cat after 2 years. Cat blamed Foden for a bad installation, and Foden blamed Cat, like they would I spose. Overall though, my experience of them has been damned good, I’d buy one, but like the Big Truck it’d be ■■■■■■■ powered.

:blush: :blush: :blush:
Sorry - my mistake… :slight_smile: I was thinking the Alpha 380 was a Cat. engined model.
I agree with you guys that a ■■■■■■■ powered one would be an OK buy if the price was right. :wink:

I still maintain that there’s not many of 'em knocking about, though !!! :laughing: :laughing:

My first ever truck was a 4350 Foden, with a ■■■■■■■■ had very little trouble with it. I also now have in the fleet, an ERF with a 450 CAT, and have had very little trouble with that either, Just DON’T BUY A MERCEDES!!!

Tramper:
My first ever truck was a 4350 Foden, with a ■■■■■■■■ had very little trouble with it. I also now have in the fleet, an ERF with a 450 CAT, and have had very little trouble with that either, Just DON’T BUY A MERCEDES!!!

Funnily enouigh Tramper, I worked on a firm in 87/88 that ran a fleet of the 4350’s, double drive on bulk, but local, so lotsa loads. They had the 350 cat in though, the big litre job, and they were something else. They got hammered to ■■■■ but stood it with ease! Good solid motors! :smiley:

I dunno about mercs after the sk range, I had two of them, and they were bulletprooff.

Yeah Mal,
I’m getting on alright with the 440 ■■■■■■■■■■■ seems to be not bad on the go-go juice as according to the road relay she’s averaging 7.20 miles/gallon which I don’t think is too bad as I’m hauling max weight (44t) stone/blacktop
and with alot of urban roadwork thrown in.
On a big backtop job at the minute,6 miles of new dual carriagway, four 30t load/day @ £4ton 22 mile radial,long may it continue :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :wink:

That sounds very reasonable Big Truck, on that type of work at 44ton, thats good I reckon. Glad youre doing well M8! :smiley:

Thanks for all the info on the Foden sounds like a fairly good truck for a lot less money than some of the bigger names :smiley: