Daf won't start. Engine Warning

This has happened several times recently and seems to be getting more frequent.

Engine just turns over happily but won’t fire. Red Engine Warning comes up on dash with that da da dum alarm.

Got round it so far by rolling down hill/pushing with forks and lifting clutch like bump starting to try to jog whatever sensor or something might be jammed. Not actually bump started it, just jogged the engine and it clears after a couple of goes. Always worked so far.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Knackered injector(s)

Come on! Roadrunner? 45? 85? 95? LF? CF? XF? how old and what model?

cav551:
Come on! Roadrunner? 45? 85? 95? LF? CF? XF? how old and what model?

Of course. My apologies.

LF 55.220 Euro4 2007

347,000 Km

Reckon big burner is on the button

Really? Hmmm… That sounds expensive. Can you tell me how does an injector cause this? Taking it in soon but interested to know.

Looooo:
Really? Hmmm… That sounds expensive. Can you tell me how does an injector cause this? Taking it in soon but interested to know.

Poor starting is generally down but not always to low fuel pressure,The causes can be many and even with a fault code ,it can still be a long process of elimination

If you have 1 or more leaking /faulty injectors ,then the minimum rail /fuel pressure the engine needs for it to start can not be achieved …The list of checks /items that can cause the issue if indeed it is fuel pressure is pretty comprehensive …So much that even poor batteries can cause issues as below a certain voltage ,the figure escapes me but about 20v then the engine EUC will shut down as the starter is taking all the current

mine does this occasionally , simply switch ignition off give it @20 seconds and try again . sorted ! DAF seem to think its a sensor error and if it happens in their care they will be able to look into it but murphys law states it will perform perfectly while they have it . :confused:

Pressure accumulator leaking.

Make sure the chip is located in its place inside the key ,if the chip isn’t secure then that can also cause starting issues

As above, chip inside key come out of its slot. If it comes up with red engine warning before even cranking its most likely the chip loose.

Bking:
Pressure accumulator leaking.

WTF Lol

Thanks.
Faults are always intermittent just so you can never get them looked at. Thinking about it seems always to happen when I’m in a hurry. Turned the key from zero to start all in one quick movement. Might be confusing it. Maybe imagination but going to make sure I give it a chance to run its checks in future and see if it happens less.

When it does it again I’ll try leaving it for 20 secs like you suggest. Haven’t tried that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So ■■■■■■■ hybrid Common rail dont have a fuel accumulator eh?

Has recent issues with ism11 ,yellow number 1 light comes back on after starting most times and even engine cut out twice and also twice lost cruise on motorway but not engine or dash ,lap top says loss of power to ecu with ignition on and voltage down to 6 v to ecu on cranking ,replaced the wire from the starter to ecu today didn’t look a miss but has solved all ,hopefully :confused:

Bking:
So ■■■■■■■ hybrid Common rail dont have a fuel accumulator eh?

No, it has fuel rail that serves as an accumulator that anyone, who knew what they were about, would call a fuel rail.

Looooo:
Thanks.
Faults are always intermittent just so you can never get them looked at. Thinking about it seems always to happen when I’m in a hurry. Turned the key from zero to start all in one quick movement. Might be confusing it. Maybe imagination but going to make sure I give it a chance to run its checks in future and see if it happens less.

When it does it again I’ll try leaving it for 20 secs like you suggest. Haven’t tried that.

Do you have a master switch by chance ■■?

A battery master switch? No, don’t think so. Are you thinking bad contacts causing Voltage drop?

Looooo:
A battery master switch? No, don’t think so. Are you thinking bad contacts causing Voltage drop?

Don’t rule it out , try bypassing it , sometimes it can be the small unthinkable things .

Our CF’s won’t start if you turn the key quickly.
Don’t have any problems when you turn ignition on and normally wait for the two purges of air (think it’s the ABS system testing <Norb■■?>) always starts without issue if doing this.