William Hampton

I actually worked for William Hamptons for nearly a year 1975-6. They were in Wilson Avenue, Rochester with a small yard, a workshop and a couple of Portakabins which both sat on a load of shingle. I was only 19/20 yrs old and was a Traffic Clerk, initially working with the Manager who’s first name was Dennis- he retired whilst i was there. I recall he was allowed to keep his Red Ford ■■■■■■ company car. I remember 2 guys - Vic Chambers and another old boy called Don (?). Not sure what Don actually did, but he called everyone Cuz ( Cousin). Vic was a good bloke - he drive an L reg Blue Austin Maxi and I think he lived in Coxheath, if he’s still alive he’d be around 90 now, but I doubt it as he was a heavy smoker and liked a drink. The Workshop Manager was called Cliff - and I remember a young chap with long curly afro type hair starting around the same time as me who looked after all the tyres, including re-treading. There was scant regard for H&S - I shunted a few 8 wheelers around the yard and at Southfleet, with no training whatsoever. I used to belt down to Southfleet in Vics 5 speed Maxi, doing 90-100mph to take paperwork/spares etc. Head Office was in Mitcham - I went a few times- can’t remember why though. I remember a guy at H.O. called Charlie Leadham - he was a bit weird - very old school. The main man was an old boy - Mr Bell - everyone called him Mr Bell. He drove a M reg brown Rover 3500 TC and came to visit us occasionally. Drivers names I remember- Eddie Archenaul - he left and went to Swains, a guy called Spanner, an old boy called Ted who got caught speeding twice in 30 minutes on the way back from Nottingham. The company used to deliver coal, gypsum and fly ash as far as I can recall.
I enjoyed my time there, the people were good people. We used to get paid cash every week- wages were not great and I was ‘made redundant’ in 1976, though it was really because I got caught fiddling my overtime!! I’m not sure when they finished in Rochester, but it is now all houses, which I’m sure the residents are far happier about.