ERF 'European' (1975)

Kenb:

ERF-NGC-European:

Kenb:
Hello. DCI Robert

Love your threads

Just a few points
S Jones only did 3 runs to Qatar and nowhere else other then Europe and those run were prior to Trans Arabia being even thought about - all 3 trucks came home.

Bahrain was and is an island - the causeway to Saudi opened in the early 80s

Star Commercials were pushing trucks around heavily in the late 70s - any link on this thread to someone from there camp??

The man who would have known was Derek Bill ERF export sales who use to come to ME quite a bit - but sadley he’s no longer with us.

Robert - keep up the good work

Ken

Good to hear from you again, Ken! There’s something else you might be able to help with. Here’s a picture of TA 139 on the back of a trailer. It’s just been overhauled at Aldridge and painted in TA colours ready to be sent back out to Jeddah. I recently found out that it’s earlier Dutch owner-driver, called Steef Slappendel did an overland trip with it to the Middle-East and ended up in Jeddah where it was acquired by Trans Arabia. You would have overseen that acquisition so I wonder if you remember why the Dutchman parted with his lorry mid-trip (a breakdown perhaps? Or ran out of funds?). It would be interesting to know. The unit was registered 12-97-FB and was painted a light faun colour with white roof and white grille. TA sent it back to UK to be fitted out for its service with you in Jeddah.

Cheers, Robert.

Hi again

After my time - but I maybe able to find info for you.
Will come back

Ken

Many thanks! Robert :smiley: