MK1 & MK11 Atkinsons,a class on their own

ramone:

Bewick:

ramone:

Bewick:
Well “ramone” I can tell you this Seddon was just as reliable as the Atky’s and it’s purchase came about when I was desperately trying to buy additional units which were in extremely short supply at that time in the mid 70’s. Anyway my Dealer Pal the late Malc Woodhouse located this chassis at Longfield Road Motors in Darlington and it was the same spec as our Borderers , ■■■■■■■ 220/RTO610/Group axle. I had to make a snap decision so I did the deal ! We put it into service in September '74 on double shifting, nights to Daventry and back the days down into Lancs/Cheshire/N.Wales ( Kwik Save Prestatyn). It gave trouble free service for over two years when it was repainted and transferred onto our local Paper Mill contract joining another three 32/4’s but they all had the 180LXB/DB 6:600. This Seddon had the higher diff ratio than the 180LXB’s and it could really pick it’s feet no problem and the Fuller 10 speed box proved a winner !

If only you had known Dennis you could have had a 220 RR Seddon with much more power for less money and much less reliability … but then again you probably did know :wink:

We also ran a Seddon 32/4 RR220/610 box/Group axle ! Ugh ! pass the bucket ! :cry: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Was it from a company buy our or was it cheap , were they as bad as some people say , i heard they were prone to oil leaks amongst other things

It was a local Company I bought out and we did run it for a while but eventually it got “culled” along with a 250 ■■■■■■■ engine Sed/Atk ! :wink: