MK1 & MK11 Atkinsons,a class on their own

ramone:

Bewick:

ramone:

Bewick:
Well “ramone” I can tell you this Seddon was just as reliable as the Atky’s and it’s purchase came about when I was desperately trying to buy additional units which were in extremely short supply at that time in the mid 70’s. Anyway my Dealer Pal the late Malc Woodhouse located this chassis at Longfield Road Motors in Darlington and it was the same spec as our Borderers , ■■■■■■■ 220/RTO610/Group axle. I had to make a snap decision so I did the deal ! We put it into service in September '74 on double shifting, nights to Daventry and back the days down into Lancs/Cheshire/N.Wales ( Kwik Save Prestatyn). It gave trouble free service for over two years when it was repainted and transferred onto our local Paper Mill contract joining another three 32/4’s but they all had the 180LXB/DB 6:600. This Seddon had the higher diff ratio than the 180LXB’s and it could really pick it’s feet no problem and the Fuller 10 speed box proved a winner !

If only you had known Dennis you could have had a 220 RR Seddon with much more power for less money and much less reliability … but then again you probably did know :wink:

We also ran a Seddon 32/4 RR220/610 box/Group axle ! Ugh ! pass the bucket ! :cry: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Was it from a company buy our or was it cheap , were they as bad as some people say , i heard they were prone to oil leaks amongst other things

It was a local Company I bought out and we did run it for a while but eventually it got “culled” along with a 250 ■■■■■■■ engine Sed/Atk ! :wink:

Were you not impressed with the length of the stroke on the RR Seddon Dennis

ramone:

Yes it was summat along those lines “ramone” :wink: And I recall that Old Bird from the Brown Bear down Leman Street that “H” used to buy a “drink” for occasionally when he was down the Smoke complaining about the same problem ! Before my time of course !! :unamused: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: Cheeres Dennis.

Bewick:

John West:

Bewick:
I quite understand your reasoning Ray ! as when the “new” County of ■■■■■■■ was created in 1974 there was enormous objections from all over this corner of the UK. The Barrow area and the Furness area in general were up in arms about being ejected from “mainland” Lancashire even though the Furness peninsula had always been “detached” as you say ! There are still many in Furness who still refuse to accept they are now part of ■■■■■■■■ Then generally all inhabitants of Westmorland, north and south, kicked up a fuss because the old County was wiped off the map ! So much so that Appleby renamed itself “Appleby-in-Westmorland”. Oh! and a bit of the West Riding of Yorkshire was hacked off around Sedbergh and stuck into the “New County” which didn’t go down well either. I recall in around 1968/9 I was in a Clearing House office down Commercial Road and the Cockney guy asked where I was looking to go back to, to which I replied Westmorland ! so he looks at me and says " Where the '[zb] 'ell is W-e-s-t-m-o-r-l-a-n-d " ? I had to point it out to him the map ! Happy Days Dennis.

I was born in Lancashire, but now live in ■■■■■■■ without having moved. If you live in London and want to ‘centralise’ things, (this means reduce costs, but somehow it never does!) you would look at the North West of England and see a bit sticking out and think it all belonged together.

Actually it doesn’t. The main towns are miles apart and there are mountains, lakes and rivers between them. Furness is only 15 miles from Blackpool across the bay. The area was always much more connected to Lancaster and Preston, with ‘the capital’ Manchester! Carlisle is 90 miles away and until 1974 was totally unrelated to Barrow or even Kendal. Westmorland was neither Barrow nor Carlisle.

So, shove it all together. Barrow and Ulverston together could have been the seat for the county, but snobby Ulverston couldn’t abide the relationship with its ‘rough’ neighbour. So Carlisle got and gets all the ‘County’ purchases - police cars, ambulances etc.

Cynical, qui moi?

John.

Although the direct sea routes i.e. Barrow to Heysham and Fleetwood were abandoned in the late 19th century so the only surface route between Furness and Lancashire proper was via Westmorland ! I rest my case. PS But you always engage the services of Ced Robinson to see you over the sands !

Bewick:

John West:

Bewick:
I quite understand your reasoning Ray ! as when the “new” County of ■■■■■■■ was created in 1974 there was enormous objections from all over this corner of the UK. The Barrow area and the Furness area in general were up in arms about being ejected from “mainland” Lancashire even though the Furness peninsula had always been “detached” as you say ! There are still many in Furness who still refuse to accept they are now part of ■■■■■■■■ Then generally all inhabitants of Westmorland, north and south, kicked up a fuss because the old County was wiped off the map ! So much so that Appleby renamed itself “Appleby-in-Westmorland”. Oh! and a bit of the West Riding of Yorkshire was hacked off around Sedbergh and stuck into the “New County” which didn’t go down well either. I recall in around 1968/9 I was in a Clearing House office down Commercial Road and the Cockney guy asked where I was looking to go back to, to which I replied Westmorland ! so he looks at me and says " Where the '[zb] 'ell is W-e-s-t-m-o-r-l-a-n-d " ? I had to point it out to him the map ! Happy Days Dennis.

I was born in Lancashire, but now live in ■■■■■■■ without having moved. If you live in London and want to ‘centralise’ things, (this means reduce costs, but somehow it never does!) you would look at the North West of England and see a bit sticking out and think it all belonged together.

Actually it doesn’t. The main towns are miles apart and there are mountains, lakes and rivers between them. Furness is only 15 miles from Blackpool across the bay. The area was always much more connected to Lancaster and Preston, with ‘the capital’ Manchester! Carlisle is 90 miles away and until 1974 was totally unrelated to Barrow or even Kendal. Westmorland was neither Barrow nor Carlisle.

So, shove it all together. Barrow and Ulverston together could have been the seat for the county, but snobby Ulverston couldn’t abide the relationship with its ‘rough’ neighbour. So Carlisle got and gets all the ‘County’ purchases - police cars, ambulances etc.

Cynical, qui moi?

John.

Although the direct sea routes i.e. Barrow to Heysham and Fleetwood were abandoned in the late 19th century so the only surface route between Furness and Lancashire proper was via Westmorland ! I rest my case. PS But you always engage the services of Ced Robinson to see you over the sands !

Bewick:

John West:

Bewick:

Cynical, qui moi?

John.

Bewick:

John West:

Bewick:

Cynical, qui moi?

John.

Dennis
Found this on FB

Regards
Norman

Bewick:

ramone:

Yes it was summat along those lines “ramone” :wink: And I recall that Old Bird from the Brown Bear down Leman Street that “H” used to buy a “drink” for occasionally when he was down the Smoke complaining about the same problem ! Before my time of course !! :unamused: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: Cheeres Dennis.

Dennis are you suggesting Harry was in possesion of a short stroke with no leverage or am i putting 2 and 2 together and getting the wrong answer … … now where have i heard that before :wink:

6LX:
Dennis
Found this on FB

Regards
Norman

Very impressed with that motor Norm ! But I hope you have installed an 8LXB and Fuller 9509 box. It also looks to me that it has a double drive Eaton back end and it should be on “air” I guess. I’m also impressed with the 28ft single axle trailer now becomes a 40ft widespread and the sheets have also been sent off for “stretching” ! Great job all the same ! :slight_smile: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

6LX:
Dennis
Found this on FB

Regards
Norman

That is an oddity. Is it a double drive Mastiff?

essexpete:

6LX:
Dennis
Found this on FB

Regards
Norman

It is a Photoshop mongrel. A dog with two diffs, to coin a phrase.

[zb]
anorak:

essexpete:

6LX:
Dennis
Found this on FB

Regards
Norman

Ah well! It had me going.

essexpete:

[zb]
anorak:

essexpete:

6LX:
Dennis
Found this on FB

Regards
Norman

Ah well! It had me going.

Well actually Pete I was just having a wind up and in fact that was actually a 6 wheel Mastiff that I had built at Primrose Engineering in Blackburn ! You can’t really believe that “photo shopping” is that good— well do you ? It was a great motor although a bit under powered with only having the Perkins V8 engine but if you didn’t chase it on it always got there and the mpg was excellent ! The 22 ton payload at 32 ton gvw was also acceptable and at times I have had 25 ton on the trailer and the extra weight didn’t particularly affect performance. I sold it onto a Showman who, I believe, is still operating it as it has quite large living accommodation in the commodious cab. I’m not just sure as to which fairground circuit it is on but I will give my mate at Carters a call to see if he can help. Cheers Bewick.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And if you belive that twaddle Pete you will end up as daft as he is, he couldn’t even get the name of his company right on the front panel! :laughing: Maybe the signwriter had a s-t-a-m-m-e-r though? :unamused:

Pete.

windrush:

And if you belive that twaddle Pete you will end up as daft as he is, he couldn’t even get the name of his company right on the front panel! :laughing: Maybe the signwriter had a s-t-a-m-m-e-r though? :unamused:

Pete.

I knew it was twaddle as soon as MPG and 35t GVW was mentioned. The H reg Mastiff on my student farm was quite thirsty and not particularly lively loaded at 22t GVW :smiley: . I did enjoy shunting around the yard and cart tracks at harvest with the odd burn down the road when no one was looking between farms playing with the Eaton 2 sp :open_mouth:

windrush:

Pete.

He charged by the number of letters IIRC :wink: but he maybe was a bit Dyslexic like ! :confused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Shotton steel shipping office

IMG_1344.JPG

Bewick:

6LX:
Dennis
Found this on FB

Regards
Norman

Very impressed with that motor Norm ! But I hope you have installed an 8LXB and Fuller 9509 box. It also looks to me that it has a double drive Eaton back end and it should be on “air” I guess. I’m also impressed with the 28ft single axle trailer now becomes a 40ft widespread and the sheets have also been sent off for “stretching” ! Great job all the same ! :slight_smile: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

I would give your sign writer the DCM Dennis,Brewbewick?

David

We’ve got the ERF thread but how about one for Atkis which IMHO were superior to anything that came out of Sandbach! Ooh! I can just hear the Foden enthusiasts fireing up the Two Strokes!!! But sorry lads the Foden couldn’t hold a candle to the ERF never mind the Atkinson! Let hostilities comence!! Cheers Dennis.